Feed Ramp Polishing

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
raypol

Feed Ramp Polishing

Post by raypol »

Here's another easy to do "Fluff and Buff" that will help your mil surp pistols feed more reliably. Smooth, round and polish the feed ramp. Make the transition from vertical to horizontal movement of the bullet as smooth as posible. There is usually some machine marks and sometimes a small step or line across the feed ramp and the transition from the flat vertical face of the magazine chamber to the round barrel chamber is not smooth and symetrical. With a Dremel type tool and one of the soft rubber backed grinding wheels, some jewelers polishing compound and a felt wheel or rag wheel you can touch all this up. Here are some pix of mine after buffing it up.
[/img]
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Feed Ramp Polishing

Post by dfunk »

Man, that is one shiny ramp! You did a great job on your polishing.
Mine has fed every hollow point flawlessly, so I don't think it's necessary, but it can't hurt. Sure looks good! ;D
donw

Feed Ramp Polishing

Post by donw »

Looks like you took alot of metal off the ramp?

I made the mistake once of drinking a few molson ice's and going at the feedramp with a dremel grinder,when I was done with that gun(Chinese TT 9mm pistol),it wouldnt even feed fmj.
I've got to polish my ramp up on my P-64.Is that red jewlers stuff in a stick ok to use,or will I need a more abrasive compound? What is "throating" anyway?,and I don't mean deepthroat;Is that polishing of the inside of the chamber?

Already have a new 22# recoil spring in my 1971 vintage gun,now I'm looking for past posts about changing the hammer spring,going with a 20#.,alittle polishing,and off to the range.
Don
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Feed Ramp Polishing

Post by normsutton »

donw

jewelers rouge really won't polish steel (red compound )

use the gray compound to take scratches off the use white or yellow to high shine

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
pshootr

Feed Ramp Polishing

Post by pshootr »

Looks like you have the "short" feed ramp. There seem to be two styles, one extends further down than the other. If you find a site on the web that shows you how to fit a 1911 barrel the same general principles apply. Basically, a "jump" or gap between the feed ramp and barrel is normal, don't try to grind it down. Looks like you did it right to me.
donw

Feed Ramp Polishing

Post by donw »

Thanks for the advice Norm. After I change the hammer spring to a Wolff 20# one,I want to polish the feedramp.

Don
dolang1
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Feed Ramp Polishing

Post by dolang1 »

Mothers chrome polish works very well also. Mothers won't take off any meat so you can have your ice's while dremeling. Later Don