Touching up the bluing

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
erehwesle

Touching up the bluing

Post by erehwesle »

I actually got my P-64 at something of a discount at the gun show (from pretty cheap to scandalous!) mainly because it has a small scratch to the bluing of the slide.

This wasn't a huge deal to me, the reason I got it was to have a nice compact reliable pistol to use as a carry gun that I wouldn't be too worried about getting the occasional ding or scratch on.

However, now that I've found what a neat gun this is, and how much fun to shoot (and I don't really even mind the recoil that much, particularly with how accurate the little guy is), its just starting to bug me.

Anyone know how to touch up the bluing on a little scratch without having to refinish the whole gun?

Of course, the obvious solution is to get another P-64......

erehwesle
Last edited by erehwesle on November 15th, 2005, 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
b52stan

Touching up the bluing

Post by b52stan »

Outers has a 3 pen kit that is cheap, and works great for touch up. You get a pre-cleaner, blue touch-up, and final wash pen. Got mine at Midsouth shooters. 800-272-300.
Or you can try Midway or your local shop.
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Touching up the bluing

Post by dfunk »

I've seen great things come from those pens used by trained hands. www.SurplusRifle.com has a great little tutorial+video of how to re-blue an older surplus gun. Let us know the route you decide to take and post some pics when your finished.
erehwesle

Touching up the bluing

Post by erehwesle »

The pen sounds like what I need. I'll post some pictures when I get it done.

Thanks for all the input everyone!
amd6547

Touching up the bluing

Post by amd6547 »

I like brownells Oxpho-blue, which you can get from Cabelas. Use a q-tip for a scratch.
"I was so much older than, I'm younger then that now..."
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Touching up the bluing

Post by abwehr »

I like the Oxpho-Blue myself! I have never tried one of the pen kits, but for little scratches, it sounds like the thing to use.