Site Admin
Site Admin

Anyone tried the recoil spring fix?

Post by dfunk »

Just wondering if it gives a bit more control over the P-64's bark. ;D
ozarker

Post by ozarker »

Ok guys like the manual, I have cruised the internet for info on our P-64. When I've found something I've saved it and put it on a flash drive.... I have no way of knowing who wrote these things are how accurate they are-- I was just collecting info. Below is one those finding.

Re: Polish P-64; I'm trying a spring from Wolff spring pack #5 overlength bulk springs. Slightly larger outside dia., slightly smaller wire dia., cut to two coils longer than stock hammer spring. So far ignition is 100%, and double action pull is a delight. This is a suggestion only, as this would need a few hundred rounds, then remeasure spring, to verify longevity. I've found no factory made springs.

I've been doing a lot of testing on the P-64 as well. I feel that the P64 is oversprung on the mainspring and undersprung on the recoil spring as it throws brass 40-50 feet!

It turns out that the Walther PP mainspring (hammer spring) in 16# works like a charm! 100% ignition with the 14# version, so I feel confident in the 16# and it makes a HUGE difference on the DA pull ... HUGE!

As for recoil springs, I couldn't find any that "just fit" so after talking with the guy at Wolff, I tried the HK P7 in 25# and if you trim it just enough so that you can reassemble the P64, then it will be an improvement over the factory spring ... and be replaceable if you really shoot it a lot. Make sure that when you trim springs you don't heat them up as they will lose their stiffness from excessive heat and then they are useless!

As I said these are some of the things I've found... I have not tried them yet. Ozarker
saands

Post by saands »

I have put the cutdown P7 recoil spring on 4 P64s now, and it is a stiffer spring. I am convinced that it is an improvement, but I'm not an independent source of info from ozarker as I recognize the last 3 quotes as mine.

One thing that I will note about this mod is that you have to make sure that there are no burrs on the spring (from where you cut it) as this will cause the action to feel REALLY scratchy.

Saands

edited to say: It makes the recoil noticeably easier on the hand!
Last edited by saands on November 18th, 2005, 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
ozarker

Post by ozarker »

Never said they where mine.. As stated I've cruised the internet and when I found something about our P-64 I would highlight it..copy to notepad and put it on my flash drive. The body of the message only.. I couldn't remember what forum or author, or the date I copied the info. If that info came for you we're all glad to have you on this forum. And thank you for your research. I was trying to help the members of this forum with what info I had. Which is the purpose of a forum. If we can get the few neg. this weapon has , and most do have a few, its popularity should increase.
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dfunk »

Here is the statemnet from saands regarding the recoil spring fix:

So ... I tried the heavier recoil spring (a modified 25# H&K P7 spring) and
the problematic P-64 (auto-ejecting the mag due to recoil) no longer
displays that behavior with factory loads. The heavier hand loads still
cause it to happen after the last round of the mag is used. If this were
predictable it would be handy as hell, but it doesn't happen every time. I
think that this P64 (the only one that I know of that has this issue) has
something strange going on in the geometry of the mag release and that,
coupled with an inordinately weak recoil spring from the factory (the recoil
of this P64 also stung WAY more than any other that I have fired) caused the
malfunction.
blsnelling

Post by blsnelling »

I installed a P7 spring tonight. I had to remove exactly 7 1/4 coils to get it installed. However, I'm not happy with the spring. It has a larger OD than the original spring and is rough and noisy in operation. I have not fired it with it. I intend to use the stock spring unless recoil becomes a problem.
raypol

Post by raypol »

Just for something to look forward to, Wolff Gunsprings has the recoil spring for the P64 on it's list of things to do. They told me they had a gun now and will be looking it over. No production date yet as they have to keep up with all the new big name guns comming out but one of these days we will have a correctly engineered recoil spring from Wolff. The more we buy the hammer springs from them and tell them it is for a P64 the more they will know how many of us want a recoil spring.

jpb
saands

Post by saands »

I agree with BLSNELLING's complaints about the gritty feel with the replaced recoil spring ... but firing it made me a believer. The bite is tamed a bit. That being said, if Wolff makes us a REAL one, we'll be in great shape!

Saands

ps ... when I commented above about recognizing the quotes above, I wasn't being particular about ownership, I was just wanting to make sure that my comments in this thread weren't taken as independent validation of the previous information. ;)
sandollor

Post by sandollor »

So the replaced spring would be this one:
Extra Power.........: 23 and 25 Lb
Being the 25 Ld one? Just making sure.
saands

Post by saands »

Yep ... get the stiffest one the sell for that one ... I think that a "real" extra power spring if designed for the P64 will be even stiffer, but the 25# one is a step in the right direction.
Saands
mongo

Post by mongo »

Why won't a Walther recoil spring work? just curious.
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by abwehr »

mongo,

I am definetly not a gunsmith, but I would be careful with the Walther recoil spring. Most of these pistols are for the .32 auto or the .380. These are weaker rounds than the 9mm Mak, so the weaker springs may cause problems with "beating" the pistol to much and possibly cause a frame or slide crack. This is just my thoughts on the subject and I sure could be wrong???

"saands" and some of the other guys know a lot on the subject so they may jump in with a knowlegeable answer. I will wait on Wolff and buy their set when they are available
mongo

Post by mongo »

mongo,

I am definetly not a gunsmith, but I would be careful with the Walther recoil spring. Most of these pistols are for the .32 auto or the .380. These are weaker rounds than the 9mm Mak, so the weaker springs may cause problems with "beating" the pistol to much and possibly cause a frame or slide crack. This is just my thoughts on the subject and I sure could be wrong???

"saands" and some of the other guys know a lot on the subject so they may jump in with a knowlegeable answer. I will wait on Wolff and buy their set when they are available
Wolff lists a 24 pound spring for PPK.

http://www.gunsprings.com/SemiAuto/Walt ... ml#PPKS9mm
Last edited by mongo on December 16th, 2005, 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
mongo

Post by mongo »

On the P7 spring, is there a way to cut it in the middle and bind the middle coils without soldering or rubbing on the frame?

Like maybe small metal tube holding them together then crimped?
saands

Post by saands »

I wouldn't trust the integrity of a joint like that. What we really need is a spring made for the p64. I think that the rubbing of the P7 is caused by its large major diameter, not the modification to the spring. I looked for a better spring for a long time (not just from the population of existing recoil springs) and unfortunately, I think that the best bet today is the cut down P7 spring. If you can find something better, then I'm all ears, but I doubt that it will be anything else that Wolff sells as they also looked through their existing inventory. Keep in mind that the "rating" of a recoil spring (ie 25#) is meaningless when you are comparing springs of different geometries. By that I mean that a 25# 1911 recoil spring is not necessarily stiffer than a 22# recoil spring for a PPK.

Saands