barrel bulge

Talk about rifles and shotguns here.
dashman77

barrel bulge

Post by dashman77 »

How dangerous is shooting a 12 gauge shotgun with a slight bulge close to the muzzle? I understand the why risk it point but as long as i shoot lead bird shot I cant see any real danger, besides maybe the wad getting stuck but all the pressure will be able to escape. The possibility seems slim. Thinking about it now, the metal might be fatigued at the bulge allowing a failure in the barrel in that area? But again the pressure would be allowed to escape when it hit that area. Maybe performance would suffer cause of the ability for the gas to escape around the bulge? Anyone have any experience with this? It is a mossberg 500 barrel 18.5 in length from the factory. The bulge is just low enough to make cutting it impossible. I don't know how the bulge occurred, as I received it second hand. And please go easy on me. I know safety first and don't be stupid. Its not a good idea to use this barrel with even the remote chance of a failure but I'm curious just how unsafe it is. Thanks
Let the donkies bray, help you find the a$$ in the group.
Poppy42

Re: barrel bulge

Post by Poppy42 »

A barrel is cheap! How much is your life worth? Not to sound cynical but if the barrel has a bulge it's as good as a failure. It's just not worth the chance in my opinion. Replace the barrel for your own safety. I would not fire it!
Long, wide, deep, and without hesitation
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

+1 replace it.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Yes. Replace it without hesitation. The charge that caused the over pressure that bulged MAY have cracked the breach where you cannot see it. Need more be said?
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.