Egyptian Rasheed (Rashid) rifle

Talk about rifles and shotguns here.
trustingman62

Egyptian Rasheed (Rashid) rifle

Post by trustingman62 »

Does anyone have a Rasheed carbine or heard of them? I just purchased one at local gun dealer. Took it to the range today at lunch. Ran flawless. 7.62x39 caliber. Kind of looks like a SKS but uses the Hakim type direct inpindgment bolt. I will post pictures shortly. Mine is serial 6524 out of an estimate of 8000 made. Only problem is with so few made there are no parts available.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Re: Egyptian Rasheed (Rashid) rifle

Post by papabear »

trustingman62,

I Don't have a Egyptian Rasheed but I got to shoot one that a friend of mine had back in the late 80's. At the time I had a Ruger mini 30 (7.62x39). After shooting the Rasheed I preferred it to the Ruger mini 30 mostly because the Rasheed was a heavier rifle (9#) compared to the Ruger (7#) so the recoil was a lot less with the Rasheed, and IMHO the Ruger mini 30 was to light for that round. Most of the ammo (7.62x39) back then was with floor sweep Russian powder with lacquer cased ammo, which was ok if you shoot it with a SKS or AK which it was designed for. I got rid of the mini 30 and opted for a post band (80's) Colt SP1 .223 (SN) SP 199XXX. I've never look back on that deal since, although if I ever find a Egyptain Rasheed at a fair price I'll get one, they are rare and and hard to find and the parts are even harder to find. BTW, the Egyptian Rasheed Ljungman AG-42 has Swedish lineage; it is a descendant of Sweden's unique AG-42 designed by Erik Eklund, who worked during WWII for the C.J. Ljungman Pump Company in Malmo, Sweden.

Thanks for your post, it sure brought back some fine memories.
6x6pinz

Post by 6x6pinz »

picked up a couple of the Hakim rifles and always wanted to find a good Rasheed. If it shoots like the Hakims then it is a very enjoyable rifle to shoot.
DanielGriffin

Post by DanielGriffin »

trustingman62 wrote: August 17th, 2016, 10:52 pm Does anyone have a Rasheed carbine or heard of them? I just one at local gun dealer. Took it to the range today at lunch. Ran flawless. 7.62x39 caliber. Kind of looks like phentermine but over the counter a SKS but uses the Hakim type direct inpindgment bolt. pictures shortly. Mine is serial 6524 out of an estimate of 8000 made. Only problem is with so few made there are no parts available.
One of my friends owns one. I had a chance to shoot it once and it is really a cool gun.
Last edited by DanielGriffin on August 2nd, 2021, 4:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
GuitarmanNick

Post by GuitarmanNick »

A few months ago, a friend of mine told me that I would never guess what was in a case he brought for me to clean up. You should have seen the look on his face when I said I thought it might be a Rasheed! He asked why I would say that, and I told him because his challenge made me think of the more rare guns and knowing his love for 7.62 x 39, Rasheed was the only choice.

His turned out to be a 1966 which is the most rare of all. It cleaned up nicely and I am hoping to shoot it one day soon. Eventually, I hope to find one for myself.

Congrats on owning a very rare piece of history.