Help please re: old tula 9x18 makarov ammo

All things ammo related.
Pistol Pete

Help please re: old tula 9x18 makarov ammo

Post by Pistol Pete »

I was reading an old thread about the 9x18 makarov ammo in 16 round boxes. The thread indicated that the projectile weight was closer to 105grain or more, mis-labeled as less. One person posted that this ammo should not be fired in an FEG PA63 pistol. Why is that? Is it unsafe? Please advise. Thanks
Pistol Pete

Re: Help please re: old tula 9x18 makarov ammo

Post by Pistol Pete »

That post was from 2007 written by nbender. Can that old Tula 9x18 105 grain be safely fired in a Hungarian PA-63? Is that ammo worth something to vintage ammo collectors?
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

The heavier grain bullet would not be good for the PA63 aluminum frame.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

+1 on what Curly posted. The PA63 should never be fired using ammo with bullet weights above 95 grains because of the reason that Curly stated. The aluminum frame alloy is not hard enough to withstand the pounding from rounds that heavy and will not only crack but will elongate some of the pin holes in the frame. The gun most likely will not come apart if a few 105 grain rounds are sent through it but it is definetly not wise for safety and long term life expectancy of the gun. And the gun recoils hard enough with 93 grain rounds why use anything heavier?
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
Cyndicalist

Post by Cyndicalist »

Ketchman wrote: December 15th, 2016, 8:37 pm +1 on what Curly posted. The PA63 should never be fired using ammo with bullet weights above 95 grains because of the reason that Curly stated. The aluminum frame alloy is not hard enough to withstand the pounding from rounds that heavy and will not only crack but will elongate some of the pin holes in the frame. The gun most likely will not come apart if a few 105 grain rounds are sent through it but it is definetly not wise for safety and long term life expectancy of the gun. And the gun recoils hard enough with 93 grain rounds why use anything heavier?
I got a bunch if TCW 109 grain. What are the thoughts on putting those through a P64 or Mak?
"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary." - Karl Marx
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Never heard the name TCW before, did a little research and found out it was Wolf before a name change. 109 grain seems a bit hotter load and I would think it would be fine in the Mak and prbly would not hurt the P64, but as hard as the P64 recoils with 95 grain loads, why shoot it with a heavier, harder kicking load?
Cyndicalist

Post by Cyndicalist »

Ketchman wrote: April 16th, 2018, 7:39 am Never heard the name TCW before, did a little research and found out it was Wolf before a name change. 109 grain seems a bit hotter load and I would think it would be fine in the Mak and prbly would not hurt the P64, but as hard as the P64 recoils with 95 grain loads, why shoot it with a heavier, harder kicking load?
Good question. Maybe I'll keep then until I can shoot a cz82 or something.
"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary." - Karl Marx
fifthelement

Post by fifthelement »

new to the forum. p 64 owner for 1 year. i have bad arthritis in my hands so you can imagine my range time is not fun. i heard that the gun was originally made to fire 65 grain bullets. is this true ? whats the best place to find anything less than95 grain? thanks , marko
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Fifthelement welcome to the Forum. I for one have never heard of 9x18 ammo loaded with 65 grain bullets. To my knowledge the round was designed with 93-95 grains as standard bullet weights.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

anything over a 95 grn bullet in a PA-63 or a P-64 , is not advisable , it took some years before we got all that hot ammo off the market ,some of it still shows up every once in awhile , , you can load a heaver lead bullet in these gun's , but not a jacketed bullet , one of the other reason's is the Russians didn't change the power charge for a light bullet and the heaver bullet , they have the same powder and charge in them , as a hand loader that's a no no
i shoot a 100 grn lead bullet out of all my 9x18 pistol's , i use 9 mm that cut down to make my brass i haven't bought any 9 x 18 in i'd have to say about 8 or 9 years
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage