Silver Bear 94 gr FMJ "Sparks" When Shot?

All things ammo related.
poop_log

Silver Bear 94 gr FMJ "Sparks" When Shot?

Post by poop_log »

Hi, so I've only shot Silver Bear 94 gr FMJ out of a P-64 and I've noticed that sparks shoot out of the gun when it's shot. Is this normal with Silver Bear ammo? I haven't been able to shoot other ammo out of the gun yet to compare. Is it possible there is something wrong with the gun? All the cosmoline has been cleaned out and the gun has been greased and oiled.

Mods: Please move this thread if it is posted in the wrong area.
chestertnted

Re: Silver Bear 94 gr FMJ "Sparks" When Shot?

Post by chestertnted »

I shoot Brass only. PPU, or S &B.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
"For the Founders, the right of the citizen to be armed-they never imagined a world in which they would be disarmed for the supposed benefit of preventing access to weapons by madmen."
tech 1

Post by tech 1 »

Probably just muzzle flash caused by unturned powder that ignites as it leaves the barrel. I get some with my p64.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

I have seen similar sparks from my 12 gauge.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
poop_log

Post by poop_log »

Well, I went back to the range and tried a new ammo, Brass cased Sellier & Bellot 95 gr. This time there were no noticeable sparks flying out of the gun but every single round "keyholed" and left the exact same imprint on the paper. There was no variation such as sideways or angled imprints from the bullets. They all looked to be 'vertical'. Sorry, I did not take a photo. Do you think this is an issue with the ammo, the gun, or both?
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

How does the muzzle look?

At what distance are you shooting?
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Check the headstamp's on the brass. Make sure it say's "9x18 Makarov" or "9mm Makarov" and not .380 ACP. it does not happen often but occasionally the a box of rounds gets mis-labeled, or even worse, someone switches them in the store thinking it is funny. .380 ACP will chamber and fire in a 9x18 and you most likely even notice except accuracy will be for shit because of the bullet diameters being way different. And I know of people who have used .380 in a 9x18 and the bullets keyholed at 25 feet. Course it's a great way to avoid having refiling marks on the bullet in case your planning something unlawful. I bought a box of what was marked .35 Remington years ago before the years deer hunt at a K Mart ( yes children K Mart sold guns and ammo once upon a time) and when I went to the range for sight in I opened the box and they were 30-30's all. Remington's too just like the Box said. And that is why i insist on opening ALL ammo boxes at the checkout before paying now. It CAN happen. :shock:
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.