What ammo do you carry EDC

All things ammo related.
SkippySanchez

What ammo do you carry EDC

Post by SkippySanchez »

Hi all. I've been carrying a 1911 Colt Officer or a S&W.357 snub for a number of years now, but have recently acquired a p64 and like the compactness compared to the snub.

Initially, I wasn't thinking I would be carrying the P 64, but I'm considering it when I need something compact for pocket carry for a quick run to the store or whatever.

I wouldn't say it's "fun" to shoot, but I enjoy it very much. Perhaps when I get in more range time and become accustomed to the trigger I'll consider carrying it more frequently.

So my question, for those who EDC a p64, what ammo do you typically carry in it?

In another thread someone suggested reedsammo.com with Hornady xtp, which appears to be a very good price compared to other retailers.

Thanks.
SkippySanchez

Re: What ammo do you carry EDC

Post by SkippySanchez »

PS: Another round I briefly considered is Privi Partisan HP (via Ammoman),except the video reviews of the .40cal were not impressive at all. Didn't see any reviews of PPU 9X18.
chestertnted

Post by chestertnted »

I use PPU for practice. Hornady Critical Defense for EDC! Feeds great! P-64 is snappy! But slim, works great for IWB EDC! Spare mag with ball ammo covers most circumstances!
"For the Founders, the right of the citizen to be armed-they never imagined a world in which they would be disarmed for the supposed benefit of preventing access to weapons by madmen."
chestertnted

Post by chestertnted »

Also EDC a Makarov.
"For the Founders, the right of the citizen to be armed-they never imagined a world in which they would be disarmed for the supposed benefit of preventing access to weapons by madmen."
Ultra

Post by Ultra »

Underwood HP's.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Silver Bear HP for practice AND carry if out of Hornady critical Defense of XTP for EDC. Silver Bear HP is not a bad round if you check out some of the testing done on it on You Tube. I have tested it on water jugs and was impressed enough where I am not worried about using it for carry.
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
chestertnted

Post by chestertnted »

I still like using Brass only.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Why? these things were designed with steel cased ammo in mind. It is what they were designed for. I have never had a problem with steel cased ammo. Ever. period. Now if we were talking an old lever action gun or early military surplus collectible that may have softer steel then I would be very hesitant but these things were made from initial drawings on to final production with using steel cased ammo in mind. I do not understand the prejudice against it. :?
chestertnted

Post by chestertnted »

You are correct of course. But I think Brass is a kinder, gentler approach. Also lacquer build up is a legitimate issue which I avoid.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Chesternted,

the more I read my last post on this topic the more it sounds snippy and targeted at you and I want to apologize for thatas I did not intend to be anything other than questioning when it comes to a preference for brass cased ammo over steel cased ammo in these guns. I have heard many other people state (on this and other boards) that they would not use steel cased ammo in their guns, many of them, like the CZ-82, P-64 and PA-63 designed to use steel cased ammo because; its garbage / junk ammo, it will hurt my gun because it's not brass, and some other reasons. Your reason of laquer buildup is legit, I have had it happen on my Moisin Nagant M-38 carbine and can attest that it can be a problem. That is why I use the Silver Bear, it has the zinc coating to make is slicker and I have never heard of zinc buildup in the chamber being a problem. And the desire to use brass because it is easier on your sidearm than steel is legit as well considering some of these weapons are 50 years old or more.
I just wanted to apologize to you if you took offense, none was intended and if not then to the rest of the board members in case any of them were thinking about what an a-hole I was on that one. :roll:
Go Spartans! :mrgreen:
chestertnted

Post by chestertnted »

No..no..no. Never a problem. I have lost this argument for years. I just want to ease the strain on my babies!. The lacquer build up I have seen, but still it can be removed!
So, no problems. I am however impressed at your sincere apology.
Sounds like you like the 9×18. Check this out. https://www.facebook.com/groups/717752958354642/

Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Chesternted,

And for anyone else interested, here is a decent test of the Silver Bear ammo.

https://youtu.be/ScHzHz3dItI

This guy tests a lot of different ammo and does it pretty well I think.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Oh I love the 9x18. Very cool round. better than the .380 in the same package. And I think Comm Block weapons are just cool. And currently have 2 pistols chambered for it, CZ-82 and P-64, Used to have a PA-63 but foolishly sold it (to finance the P-64 at least) and wish I had not sold it. And I cannot unfortunately check out the link, I do not do facebook. but thanks for trying.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

+1 don't do FB either.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
chestertnted

Post by chestertnted »

Very cool. Bunch of 9×18 Maniacs!