9x18 PPU, and Buffalo Bore 9x18 +P 95 gr JHP

All things ammo related.
john9square

Post by john9square »

Hey. Hoping I can get some opinions and feedback here on ammo.

1. I saw Cheaper Than Dirt has Buffalo Bore 9x18 +P 95gr JHP in stock.
Is it safe to use in the P64? Ok for limited use? I've read some posts that go both ways.

2. I've been trying to find another brand/source for JHP to use on my P64. Found PPU on Aim Surplus. Is stuff any good?

3. Does anyone know where you can find 9x18 MAK ammo in something more like a 75gr or 73gr? I think I saw a post somewhere that said it was originally designed for a lighter round. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks and I'll hang up and listen....
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Re: 9x18 PPU, and Buffalo Bore 9x18 +P 95 gr JHP

Post by normsutton »

this will give you 9 X 18 data
http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread. ... ition-Data
I personally won't shoot any steel case wolf ammo ,in any of my guns , or any thing over a 95 grn jacketed bullet , in any of my 9 X 18 hand guns , if you are not going to reload most steel case ammo is good ammo , the gun was made for it ,
NORM
Sent from norms computer norm doesn't have a smart phone (LMAO)
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
john9square

Post by john9square »

Thanks so much, Norm. Great information! What an amazing digest of data for the 9x18 Makarov ammo. Just incredible.

Relieved to know that the +P on the Buffalo Bore is still within normal pressures. Didn't want to loose any fingers....

Just curious, why don't you shoot any ammo over 95gr in your 9x18 chambered pistols? Just that its overkill for penetration?

Appreciate all the info.

-John
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

John
these guns were not designed for anything over a 95 grn. , I know the Russians came out with some a few years back as a selling ploy , just to sell their guns and ammo , because Americans will always buy bigger and faster , not safer and they were right many of use went and bought the heaver bullet , but after it started to shack some of the small guns apart , did we learn

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

+1 with Norm on the P-64 not designed for anything over a 95 grn. I too do not use any steel case Wolf ammo in any of my guns either with the exception of my SKS's, they love the Russian floor sweep ammo.
manicmechanic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by manicmechanic »

The only ammo I had problems with was the older Hornady HP's. Wouldn't chamber first one from mag and would set the bullet back into the case. I only use those in my real Maks, Bulgarian, E. German, export Russian.
john9square

Post by john9square »

Thanks all! Great info and nice to have the input to save me the time of reinventing the wheel.

I should have my P64 in hand tomorrow. Can't wait to see this little beauty.

I've also got a spring kit, Hogue rubber slip-on grip, and snap caps. Kind of going all in on this, so hope I like it.

The ammo I've got already:
- 95 grain FMJ, Winchester
- 95 grain JHP, Buffalo Bore +P

Can't wait to clean it and shoot a bit to check out the recoil and trigger pull. Will likely do a little spring tweakin after that and then shoot some more.

Thanks again for all the help and great information.

-John
finloq

Post by finloq »

My 1911 lives the crappy Wolf steel case stuff
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

there are plenty of replacement parts for the 1911 too , not so for any of the guns that shoot the 9 x 18

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

I am not positive so don't quote me, but someone told me that +P ammo in both 9mm Mak and 380 were NOT SAMMI approved and so anything marked as +P in those calibers was suspect. I've seen and shot BuffaloBore ammo in 380 +P and it was a bit snappier than regular but I did get admonished that the +P designation was more of a marketing ploy than anything because of the SAMMI thing.

I've not seen any 9mm Mak +P (yet...) but I DID see some Underwood Ammo standard loads rated at 1150 FPS but NOT +P. I'm debating whether or not to try some...
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
chestertnted

Post by chestertnted »

I like PPU, never FTF or FTE in my Mak, P-64, or P-83..
"For the Founders, the right of the citizen to be armed-they never imagined a world in which they would be disarmed for the supposed benefit of preventing access to weapons by madmen."
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

robhic wrote:I am not positive so don't quote me, but someone told me that +P ammo in both 9mm Mak and 380 were NOT SAMMI approved and so anything marked as +P in those calibers was suspect. I've seen and shot BuffaloBore ammo in 380 +P and it was a bit snappier than regular but I did get admonished that the +P designation was more of a marketing ploy than anything because of the SAMMI thing.
Heads Up, Buffalo Bore is now stating that their .380 +P ammunition IS, in fact, over SAAMI max pressure spec., perhaps by as much as 16%.

http://www.thektog.org/forum/f87/buffal ... ll-258434/

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."