109 gr.

All things ammo related.
lklawson

109 gr.

Post by lklawson »

I just scored 3 boxes of the fairly rare 109gr. 9x18 Makarov ammo on the secondary market. Including shipping it's getting me for $15 per box. That gave me a little heartburn 'til I remembered the Federal brand 9mm Luger I bought yesterday for $15 at WM.

Oh well. My P64 likes it and the heavier weight makes it better SD ammo than the 95gr ball, even if it does make the "pounder" kick even harder.

Maybe I'll save it for use in my IJ-70 18AH. :)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."
petesimon

Re: 109 gr.

Post by petesimon »

what's the brand name, and what's the casing and bullet metal like? got photos?
I love the "9x18 ammo data" thread in Gunboards.com
-Peter
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

petesimon wrote:what's the brand name, and what's the casing and bullet metal like? got photos?
-Peter
To my knowledge only one manufacturer made 109gr. 9x18 Makarov. This is they.

Wolf brand. It's well out of production by now. Standard copper FMJ (but I suspect it's actually tombac/bi-metal) and steel case. The bullet is the weird "truncated cone." My P64 likes them (indeed, most of my Mak cal guns do) but they jam like nobody's business in my CZ82.

Here's an old pic I took. It's a wee bit fuzzy.

And a few by others:

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."
petesimon

Post by petesimon »

lklawson wrote:
petesimon wrote:what's the brand name, and what's the casing and bullet metal like? got photos?
-Peter
To my knowledge only one manufacturer made 109gr. 9x18 Makarov. This is they.

Wolf brand. It's well out of production by now. Standard copper FMJ (but I suspect it's actually tombac/bi-metal) and steel case. The bullet is the weird "truncated cone." My P64 likes them (indeed, most of my Mak cal guns do) but they jam like nobody's business in my CZ82.

Here's an old pic I took. It's a wee bit fuzzy.
Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
Thanks. Awesome stuff! I'm looking for other rarities: silver/brown bear ~115 or more grain FMJ or hollow points, and wolf ~115 or more grain FMJ or hollow point like I found in google images search.
-
-
big54r

Post by big54r »

^^^ dang pete wish I could find some of that 115-120 gr wolf/silver bear