"Bear" preference

All things ammo related.
pilot1950

"Bear" preference

Post by pilot1950 »

Gents,

I'm curious if there is a general preference of one of the "Bear" brands over the other in terms of performance, price or ??? Brown, Silver, WPA, Wolf (camo box), etc..... The specs all seem to be very close. I've always had a slight preference for the Silver Bear for 2 reasons: Avoid the Lacquer coating and it's potential transfer to the chamber and 2) my perception / opinion that the zinc is better at both corrosion resistance and lubricity. Is a strong "leader" in this group and, if so, your opinion of why?

Curious.
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Re: "Bear" preference

Post by Weasel640 »

pilot1950 wrote:Gents,

I'm curious if there is a general preference of one of the "Bear" brands over the other in terms of performance, price or ??? Brown, Silver, WPA, Wolf (camo box), etc..... The specs all seem to be very close. I've always had a slight preference for the Silver Bear for 2 reasons: Avoid the Lacquer coating and it's potential transfer to the chamber and 2) my perception / opinion that the zinc is better at both corrosion resistance and lubricity. Is a strong "leader" in this group and, if so, your opinion of why?

Curious.
I just want to clarify that the WPA and Wolf brand ammo ar NOT part of the "Bear" branding. In fact I stay away from anything Wolf brand. There had been early reports that something about the Wolf ammo was causing damage to the firing pins. Although I have never seen it myself, it's not something I want to take a chance on.

For the "Bear" brand, as you I also prefer the Silver Bear or Golden Bear over the lacquered Brown Bear, but all three work fine.

From other brands I prefer Sellier & Bellot over others.
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Re: "Bear" preference

Post by Curly1 »

I have not had any problems with Silver Bear in any of my 9x18 guns.

I have not tried BB.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary