Hornady critical defense!?

All things ammo related.
big54r

Hornady critical defense!?

Post by big54r »

just bought some hornady critical defense from academy and was wondering if any of you have feedback about it?

this was the first time I had ever seen it in 9mak so I was pleased to have a source of it even though I reload xtp's for my 9mak's.

haven't shot any yet but will tomorrow...will let all know what I think... :D
Never Enough Ammo

Re: Hornady critical defense!?

Post by Never Enough Ammo »

I stocked up on 5 boxes of it when my local academy had it on sale for $12 a box. I ran two boxes though it see if they would feed good. Did not have a single FTF or FTE. They are currently what I have my P64 loaded with.
Life is hard,it's harder when you're stupid-John Wayne
mirother

Post by mirother »

This is great ammo. There is also a custom ammo maker who makes similar stuff. The email address is http://www.reedsammo.com Reed makes a custom 9mm Mak in 95 gr. Hornandy XTP. It comes in 50 round boxes for $25 plus shipping. This is what I usually carry.
Stogies

Post by Stogies »

My buddies in the XD forum have been hating CD for some time now ... but I still carry it. It feeds much more reliably in guns that don't like HPs and I never had any malfuntions.
Knarren und Zigarren!!!
trailer-trash

Post by trailer-trash »

I havent tried the critical defense yet....I want to...but for now I have stocked quite a few boxes of silver bear haha...My p64 and Mak both eat it and love it.
Stogies

Post by Stogies »

trailer-trash wrote:I havent tried the critical defense yet....I want to...but for now I have stocked quite a few boxes of silver bear haha...My p64 and Mak both eat it and love it.
That's the nice things about the commie guns, they all run well with steel cased commie ammo ;-)
Knarren und Zigarren!!!
daven

Post by daven »

I can thoroughly recommend Reeds Ammo. they have a whole slew of unusual loads (even when in stock, the non-existant 0.41 Special, with the correct head stamp from Starline). DaveN
GeneCC

Post by GeneCC »

CD cycles my P-64 and Makarovs well.

Terminal characteristics? Don't know.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

GeneCC wrote:CD cycles my P-64 .

Same here.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

Never tried the Hornday CD ammo or bullets for the 9x18, the only Hornady bullets I reload are the 230gr XTP/HP that I use for my 5" 1911's loaded with 7.5gr of Unique... crono'ed avg 964fps at 7rds, with good expansion using old "Gun Parts Catalogs". Never any issues with 4 different 1911's. I've heard good things about the Hornday CD though I'd try the CD ammo but I have a bunch of the the XTP/HP bullets but I might just try some of the CD bullets too.
jemsj4

Post by jemsj4 »

I've used Critical Defense in my P64 & CZ82 w/o problems. I have never done any testing, other than reliability.
wlockridge

Post by wlockridge »

I always use Horanday CD in all of my smaller calibre semi-autos. I've never had one to fail to load, fire, or eject and with that comes confidence which is why I only carried revolvers on duty as they were damn near "bullet proof" as they say. They (Hornday) also makes a much larger impact and has better penetration than most other rounds with the exception of Silver Bear +P ammo which Is much too expensive to practice with. While I was employed with the police department we had to qualify with the exact same ammo that we were going to carry every 6 months on duty and off. With the current cold snap situation it would be interesting to lay the gun outside in the cold for an hour or so then pick it up and fire it just as a test of reliability. I believe in real world testing/practising as we have no way to determine the type of weather that we'll be faced with should the unfortunate situation arise that we'll be forced to deploy our firearms. Just a thought. Hoping this finds all healthy, happy, and safe.
Shoot first, Shoot straight, and hit what you're aiming at, if you can do these things and have six rounds of ammo, you'll have two thirds more than you need to prevail.
Hurryin' Hoosier
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Hurryin' Hoosier »

My CZAK, PMs, and vz.82s all eat it like candy!
"I'm just a poor white man, trying to make my way in the world." - Officer Andy Renko, "Hill Street Blues"
Pilot

Post by Pilot »

I ran a box of Hornady Critical Defense through my P-83 today, and it worked great. That is what I am carrying in it now instead of FMJ.