Dalton Wayne

Any one us Hornady XTP 95 gr HP 9x 18

Post by Dalton Wayne »

hows it cycle, hows it shoot, is it good for self defense
DW
Scooter1

Re: Any one us Hornady XTP 95 gr HP 9x 18

Post by Scooter1 »

I have been using xtp 95 grain bullets for about 6 years now on my makarovs with zero problems. In both reloads, and factory ammo. I just picked up a p64 this weekend and plan on using these, or the silver bear hollow points. The silver bear ammo fragments when hitting harder surfaces, for example wood, bone,etc. Using reload ammo can be a death sentence in court. I was one of the first 1000 people in AZ. to get my ccw, and was trained by a lawyer for the NRA. The instructor informed me of the "reload" issue. It can be looked at as shooting someone an excessive amount of times, or telling police you shot till they were dead! Reloaded ammo can crush you in court, they can say you increased the powder, or modified the bullet to be more lethal.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

I haven't shot the XTP's but have read good things about them. One feller did a review on YouTube comparing the XTP and the Silver Bear HP's.

Welcome scooter1!

I would only use my reloads in my CCW as do a good number of other folks on this forum. I have heard the rumors of the court systems but there is not one documented case, that I'm aware of, where the person was punished more severely for using reloads. I think a lot of it is hype. Maybe someone on here will comment and show me that I'm wrong. It's the same with guns. Rumor is that if you replace springs then the "system" will think you were making a death gun out of it because you prefer a lighter trigger. I don't buy it, but maybe it's just the part of the country you live in. I live in rural Midwest America where they don't put up with crooks.

I'd think they'd do ballistics testing with your reloads. Typically mine are at factory ammo level and the bullets and primers are the same as the manufacturers use. I don't think it would hold water.

This video is made by mychoads which is a member on here.
Video:
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

I have been using Hornady XTP's in all my 9x18 pistols (3) for the last 8-9 years and I think they are great. Cycle well and expand well, at least when shot into water jugs. I carry them exclusively in my 9x18 CCW weapons.
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
big54r

Post by big54r »

I loaded some up and it was great stuff...have no problem shooting it in my p-64 and therefore have no worries about it as SD/carry ammo.
69murray

Post by 69murray »

Once I saw this test, I decided to make the XTP my SD ammo in my 9x18 guns. It tested out squarely in .38 +P territory, in my opinion.

benheart

Post by benheart »

Hornady Custom XTP are what I carry in my 64 everyday. I find less perceived recoil with these particular rounds than I do with any other round (including plain ol' ball) that I've tried. They are extremely accurate in my gun... (which is to say, EVERYTHING is pretty darn accurate in this gun). They have been pretty easy to find also. (A sports shop that I pass on my way to my cabin keeps them in stock.) I usually pay about $20.00 for a twenty round box. If you've priced carry ammo lately, you know a buck a round is "reasonable". I swap out my 13 rounds every 6 months unless there is reason for them to be "suspect" (moisture, etc.). Then I use them for practice. I've N.E.V.E.R. had a failure of any kind with them. (FYI- I've done the lighter Wolff spring kit mod.)