New member, P64 1975

Non-firearms open discussion.
MrMetallurgy

New member, P64 1975

Post by MrMetallurgy »

Hello all! I hope the Lounge is a suitable area for a new member intro.

I'm a new P64 owner (1975 model) and, while I haven't shot it yet, I have bought all the accessories and 150 rounds of ammo. That's half the fun of buying a new gun, right?

I've already picked up a lot of useful knowledge here and thanks to all who contribute.

Matt
Oakland County, MI
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Re: New member, P64 1975

Post by Curly1 »

Welcome to the forum Matt.

You are going to wish you bought more ammo :)
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
HolmesZ28

Post by HolmesZ28 »

Welcome, I have a 77, love it and yes you'll want more ammo.
MrMetallurgy

Post by MrMetallurgy »

Thanks for the greetings, guys.
If I need more ammo, I guess I'll have to force myself to hit the local gun show this weekend. It's less painful when the money is already earmarked ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
manicmechanic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by manicmechanic »

Welcome neighbor, I am just south of Detroit in Allen Park.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

LOTS more ammo. Shooting these can become very addictive, very quickly. :mrgreen:
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
Borg Warner

Post by Borg Warner »

Mine is also a 1975 and I like it a lot. Shot it again today and I was able to see the sights better than the first time I tried shooting it. I focused on the front sight first, and then brought up the rear sight and centered it on the front. I'm 67 and this gun's sights were made for 18 year old military recruits.

But I can still manage. I tries some underwood 115 grain Plus+ p's and Hot damn I won't be shooting many more of those. But the gun is all steel and I don't think very limited occasional use with this ammo is going to hurt it.

If I were ever to use it as a carry gun I'd only load 3 rounds of the underwood into the mag and then top it off with Hornady Critical defense so that I wouldn't tense up in anticipation of the recoil if I had to fire the gun in a defensive situation, but if I had to empty the gun to neutralize the threat, The added recoil at that point wouldn't be something I'd likely notice.

The Hornady ammo is also accurate in the pistol, somewhat better than the Silver Bear, and in spite of having a truncated cone/flatnose profile and not being an FMJ, it feeds perfectly.
6thcav

Post by 6thcav »

Are you talking about Hornady "critical defense ammo 9x18 95 grain flex tip" ?
chestertnted

Post by chestertnted »

Just bought a 1971 with rounded hammer. It came with a rounded hammer and a flap top holster.Don't think I will wear it though. My other P-64 is a 1974 and triangular hammer. I EDC this gun and wanted a backup. I could carry both and have my spare mag. Use Hornady Critical Defense. Must be sure it works in the new purchase. My spare mag is Ball ammo. I was thinking perhaps a tactical mag change for when more penetration is needed.
I like Bulkammo.com for my 9×18 ammo, and found some PPK holsters that work well with is the P-64.
Congrats on your purchase, and have fun!
"For the Founders, the right of the citizen to be armed-they never imagined a world in which they would be disarmed for the supposed benefit of preventing access to weapons by madmen."
Ultra

Post by Ultra »

I own a 67 and, frankly, I find it REAL snappy to shoot. That said, I'm a lover of all Makarov caliber handguns. I'm in Michigan as well, near Alpena.

You are gonna need more ammo. ;-)
bigbake132

Post by bigbake132 »

I'm in Michigan as well (Lansing) and own a 1970 P-64
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Welcome to the forum bigbake.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Bigbake welcome aboard. Formerly of Lansing, now Wyoming.
manicmechanic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by manicmechanic »

Howdy to all of our Michiganders!! My everyday is a 74, have a couple of 72's, a 75, and lined up to pick up a pair of 68's consecutively numbered. I kinda like these peirogi pistols, a lot!! Actually, I guess some what because all my grand parents came from the Mother country, I've collected quite a few of the Radom output. Early stuff being a VIS, TT-33, PPS43C(late model), Mosin Nagant 44, Wz 1970 pelletguns, P-83, Wifamas, Tantal, and a Mag 98, and I keep looking for more that I can afford. That PM-63 sub kit looks interesting, but don't really care for all the fees.
Last edited by manicmechanic on October 4th, 2015, 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

PA-63 sub kit?? What is that all about?