Think a 22lr isn't lethal? Think again.

Non-firearms open discussion.
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Think a 22lr isn't lethal? Think again.

Post by dfunk »

I carried a small .22 in my pocket every once in a while when I didn't have time or the attire to wear my primary carry gun. I looked at it as being better than just my knife. I'm not a front-line medic, or an ER doctor, but I know that the .22 can kill. From everything that I've read and heard from those in the emergency medical field, the .22 can be lethal, but it's usually a death on the operating table.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

I agree that the .22lr can be lethal, the key ingredient is placement, placement and placement.
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

DON'T BE CONFUSED ANY CALIBER IN THE RIGHT/WRONG PLACE IS LE

Post by Weasel640 »

DON'T BE CONFUSED, ANY CALIBER IN THE RIGHT/WRONG PLACE IS LETHAL! I know of people who have died from being shot with .22lr from when I was growing up in Northern Va. Also the Nato round 5.56mm/.223 is also a .22 caliber, go try telling all the U.S. soldiers that their primary weapons aren't lethal. Saying the .22lr is not lethal and close range is the same as saying the .223 is not lethal at a distance.
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
hunter316

Post by hunter316 »

I've heard/read that the standard .22 LR has enough power to penetrate the skull, but not to exit, so it just bounces around. Supposedly this, along with the ease of suppression is why mob hitmen favored the round.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

hunter316 wrote:I've heard/read that the standard .22 LR has enough power to penetrate the skull, but not to exit, so it just bounces around. Supposedly this, along with the ease of suppression is why mob hitmen favored the round.

I would think low recoil at close rang would be a plus in that line of work also.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dfunk »

Not to mention the round will likely not be intact.

I personally am from the school of thought that any gun is better than no gun. I do, however, think one should carry and protect themselves with the largest caliber they're comfortable with. If that's a 22lr, then so be it. First rule of a gunfight: have a gun.

Comparing the 22lr with the .223 is silly and I don't think anyone thinks they share anything aside from general diameter. A slingshot can kill you, as can a spear. When you talk 22's and lethality, it's (as Papabear pointed out) all dependent on shot placement as to the odds of it being on the battlefield or after the fact in the ER.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

I think the .22LR is a good cartridge. Cheap, and as has been said, is lethal.

I agree with dfunk though, comparing the .22 LR to the .223 Rem or 5.56 Nato is apples to oranges. I sort of see what was being pointed out, but it's still different at the same time.

22LR
Bullet: 40 grain
Speed: 1260 fps
Muzzle Energy: 141 ft lbs

5.56 NATO
Bullet: 62 grain
Speed: 3100 fps
Muzzle Energy: 1323 ft lbs

The energy difference is insane. If you really wanted to get technical, the .22 LR is a .222 and the 5.56 NATO is a .224. :)

I had saw the video by iraqveteran8888 where that guy shoots the Ruger 10/22 out to 400 yards or whatever it was. I found it very interesting.

Muzzle energy was calculated as (velocity x velocity x bullet weight) divided by 450400 = muzzle energy.
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF