Can I fit my P64 in a PPK pocket holster?

Leather to kydex, factory or custom.
gman68w

Can I fit my P64 in a PPK pocket holster?

Post by gman68w »

I've never owned a Walther, but I assume the PPK is similar enough in size to the P64 for it to fit into one of these babies. There's a disclaimer on the site that says "The PPK is NOT a compact gun", but I tried the P64 in my regular side pocket, and it fits right in without the magazine peeking out, and it doesn't print too much. My main concern is the fabric that makes up the pocket thinning to the point of developing a hole through which whatever I'm carrying will slip down my trouser leg.
Jesus sez 'Pack Heat' Luke 22:36: "Then said he unto them, But now,
he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that
hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Re: Can I fit my P64 in a PPK pocket holster?

Post by Ketchman »

Gman, the two pistols are very close (key words) in size and dimensions, but they are NOT the same. That being said you may find that the P-64 fits in some and not in other holsters made for the PPK based on the manufacturers sizing just like Nike size 10's will be a hair different than Puma size 10's. (remember puma's? weren't they the bomb?). So you are just gonna have to do what we all have learned to do and that is keep stuffing the P-64 into each holster to check for fit. Unless you buy a custom like US Gunleathers which are designed to fit the P-64 but unfortunetly I don't know of a maker of pocket holsters for the P-64. But if they are made you will find that info here. Good luck. :D
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
MartyW

Post by MartyW »

Gman, I concur 100% with Ketchman.

AlienGear makes a hybrid iwb holster specifically for the P-64 and it is a super fit. I have one of those and I posted a pic in the thread by Cooper_1802. Also, OldFaithful holsters makes an appendix carry belly holster specifically for the P-64 and I've ordered one of those but haven't received it yet, so I can't report on it.

In looking for a pocket holster, I did order an inexpensive one listed as for the PPK/S from eBay and it is a "sorta" fit for the P-64. This holster (link below) allows the P-64 to drop to the bottom of the holster but the P-64 isn't held firmly in place while in the holster. Since the holster is made of soft material I was able to fix the slopiness of the fit with a needle and black thread in about 15 minutes. The front flap of the holster doesn't completely cover the P-64 handle as the eBay pic shows so some handle printing might show through on tighter pants. Also, it doesn't cover 100% if the trigger guard but it does cover enough of the guard to cover the P-64 trigger from snagging on things in the pocket. I'll keep looking too to see if I can find one an inch or so taller to cover the handle print. Best of luck. Here's the item:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ace-Case-Black- ... 2c8e05670b
Last edited by MartyW on March 12th, 2015, 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gman68w

Post by gman68w »

Ketchman wrote:Gman, the two pistols are very close (key words) in size and dimensions, but they are NOT the same. That being said you may find that the P-64 fits in some and not in other holsters made for the PPK based on the manufacturers sizing just like Nike size 10's will be a hair different than Puma size 10's. (remember puma's? weren't they the bomb?). So you are just gonna have to do what we all have learned to do and that is keep stuffing the P-64 into each holster to check for fit. Unless you buy a custom like US Gunleathers which are designed to fit the P-64 but unfortunetly I don't know of a maker of pocket holsters for the P-64. But if they are made you will find that info here. Good luck. :D
"Remember" Pumas? I still wear a pair of their Indy work shoes, though I can't say I know anyone who calls anything "the bomb" anymore. Speaking of shoes, is making a P64 fit in a PPK holster just a matter of breaking in the leather? Or does it go beyond barrel length and width? Like, trigger guard shapes and all.

@MartyW
I have the AlienGear holster bookmarked, but I'm holding off for buying something a little less "tactical". I've done something like that with universal holsters before, fitting one for Glock-sized pistols to a Hi-Point.
MartyW

Post by MartyW »

Since I haven't browsed eBay in a few weeks, I did that just now and I found another cheapie pocket holster and this one actually does include "P-64" in the title. The title says "Makarov Polish P-64", so its probably another universal fit, but I used the dimensions supplied on that holster and compared it to mine, and this holster is about an inch taller than mine, so I ordered one to try it. $12.99 including shipping. Here's the link:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Makarov-Polish- ... 3cdbd4fe54

If the one I have does work, then hopefully this one will be even better (even if a needle and some thread is needed). :)
gman68w

Post by gman68w »

"Made in Southern California". In my experience, that's just a half-step up from "Made in China" :P

Nevertheless, it looks like it'll serve the purpose of preventing printing as well as reducing wear on the pocket's fabric (and keeping lint, etc., out of the gun). And as an added bonus, the "suggested products" gallery pointed me to a Barsony Leather pocket holster, which says it fits both the P64 and FEG. I've got one of their IWB clip holsters for a Charter Mag Pug, and it fits just fine after breaking in.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Gman,
I guess I am showing my age with the phrase "the bomb" but I loved Puma's and I have not seen a pair anywhere in many years.
And with getting a holster to fit it again depends on the manufacturer and how the holster is made, both dimensionally and the materials. Leather can be reshaped in small amounts in a few ways one by getti g the leather wet, forming it around your gun (preferably inside a plastic bag) and then letting it dry with your gun in the holster so it shrinks to fit. But the fit has to be close to begin with. Or you can alter it by sewing in a new shape or even by something as extreme as rivets. But again it still boils down to stuffing your gun into a new holstet to see how close the fit is and if there is "room to work" as they say.
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.