Altering holster to fit

Leather to kydex, factory or custom.
scoobysnacker

Altering holster to fit

Post by scoobysnacker »

I'm experimenting with something. Recently, on Amazon I came across the following holster:
Triple K Carrylite S&W J Frame Holster with 2-Inch Barrel, Walnut Oil, Left hand, for under $5. Being for a small snubnose, I figured it might be about the right size for the P-64, with a little modifying. So I invested (got 2, in fact). I guess it was a good thing I did, as the price has since gone back up to $39 for that same holster.

Here's try #1:

I had to wet the leather and stretch it some to fit, and also opened up the nose to let the muzzle protrude just the slightest, in order to actually get the snap to close. Wetting it allowed for enough stretching/elasticity that the cylinder lump disappeared, and now I just need to let it finish drying and reset (if it will). From what I've been able to gather, this SHOULD work.

I wanted to get a smaller holster, and a lefthanded one, for this pistol.

I will follow up in a couple days to say how it turns out
scoobysnacker

Re: Altering holster to fit

Post by scoobysnacker »

Well, did this Sunday. As of today (Tuesday), the leather is not-quite-dry, but very close (you can feel it being a little cool to the touch). It seems like it will hold the new shape, I tested by taking the pistol out of the bag (I had let it sit inside until this afternoon), and trying it inside the holster. Perfect fit. The strap will fasten right below the hammer. Everything is extremely snug. Not knowing what else to do, I ended up using superglue to secure the ends of the threading, so it won't work itself out (from where I opened up the muzzle end).

I'm very pleased on how this came out; in another couple days (when I'm sure it's dry) I will post some final pics.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Nice job man. I look forward to the final pics. Excellent example of using whats available to fit your needs.
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
scoobysnacker

Post by scoobysnacker »

Thanks! It seems to have worked as I hoped. The holster came out fine, it seems firm but not brittle. Everything shrunk to fit nicely.
It's now perfectly molded to fit a P-64, just as though it was made for it.
here's the pics of it dry with my P-64 in it.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Nice job! Let us know how it holds up.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Looks great. Great job thinking it out and then executing. And do let us know how it holds up.
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.