Pocket carry of P-64?

Leather to kydex, factory or custom.
Wizard6oBaghdad06

Pocket carry of P-64?

Post by Wizard6oBaghdad06 »

Good evening all:
I had first thought the P-64's too heavy for pocket carry, but now wonder? Does anyone have any feedback on pocket carry of the P-64? Good or bad idea? Any good holsters for pocket carry specifically? I had read, with interest, comments by 2 or more members specifically saying that their P-64s outshone their Kahr PM-9s in reliability. The PM-9 had formerly been my top choice for a concealable 9mm. But I have put many rounds thru my P-64, and have found it to be unstoppable, and more accurate than anything I've fired with a 3.5-inch or less barrel. In other words, if there's a way to make it work, I'd be happy to carry my P-64. I just don't think IWB or OWB is always going to work for what I need. Any experiences/suggestions are much appreciated. Thank you, and a pleasant good night!
lklawson

Re: Pocket carry of P-64?

Post by lklawson »

Pocket carry is not impossible. Before Kel Tec changed the market with their P11, P32, PF9, and P3AT, if you wanted to pocket carry your choices were a .22 or .25, a snubby revolver, or a PPK (or variant thereof).

The right holster makes all the difference. I've not heard of a specific pocket holster for the P64. Maybe one for the PPK might work. Maybe a custom holster.

Make sure your pocket is big enough for it.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

One suggestion from this thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3337

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=602113

Another one for a Sig that fit the P-64 here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3667

Mouse pad pocket holster: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3691

DeSantis Nemesis (style N38) suggested here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2630

Just google search this "pocket holster site:www.p64resource.com" and you'll see everything ever posted on pocket holsters.
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
RobsTV

Post by RobsTV »

I was pocket carrying the P-64.
The link below is a review of how the P-64 compares with one of the latest highly sought after pocket carry pistols out there today, the S&W Shield. The 40 and 9 shields are exact same size. While not as powerful, the P-64 works in that barely pocketable group, and would make a great choice.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4929

Also pocket carry a S&W Bodyguard 380. This is much smaller and lighter then the above nearly identical sized and weight pistols, and therefore can make for a much better pocket carry piece.
Wizard6oBaghdad06

Sorry I couldn't log in earlier to say: Thanks, gentlemen, one and all, for a number of useful pieces of information. (My laptop is less reliable than my P64(s)). I just ordered another from Widener's today. If it's as good as my first, it'll do very well as a carry pistol. I think I'll ask Chris at US Gunleather to make me an IWB holster for it. Then I'll also take the above suggestions and work on a pocket system.
Tikka

Post by Tikka »

The P-64 is a solid piece of steel in my hand, but disappears in the pocket of my baggy
khaki trousers. I sometimes forget I'm carrying. Very nice that way, solid but unobtrusive.
Wizard6oBaghdad06

True, it is a little chunk of steel, isn't it?!! But it runs like a freight train. My second one comes tomorrow, I hope it's the reliability and accuracy wonder that the firt was. My wife ran off with that one...even chicks dig the P-64 I guess...
Legally Armed

Post by Legally Armed »

Does anyone actually think the p64 wasn't designed with concealed carry in mind?
budman46

Post by budman46 »

i like desantis' nemesis pocket holster that's listed for the ppk. blue jeans, cargo pants or slacks with enough pocket work well...uh, i do wear suspenders to keep the heavy little devil from pulling my pant down, though! :)
budman

ignorance is fixable...
seniordom

Post by seniordom »

Have worn the Daltech Force PP2 in my front right pocket in both dress clothes and jeans for a while now; carries well and does not print. The only problem I found was that the gun fit very loose in the holster until I added some stitches to tighten up the fit. While carrying the gun after a very short while you don,t even know you are carrying. (See my post under holster alteration.)
Hurryin' Hoosier
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Hurryin' Hoosier »

FWIW, my hard-chromed P64 (wearing a pair of the short Marshall walnut grips and holding a magazine from which I've removed the pinky-extension) rides quite nicely in my Robert Mika pocket holster. Every bit as "pocketable" as my S&W 637 was.
"I'm just a poor white man, trying to make my way in the world." - Officer Andy Renko, "Hill Street Blues"
manicmechanic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by manicmechanic »

budman46 wrote:i like desantis' nemesis pocket holster that's listed for the ppk. blue jeans, cargo pants or slacks with enough pocket work well...uh, i do wear suspenders to keep the heavy little devil from pulling my pant down, though! :)
When I pocket carry, I carry the P64 this way also, for the last 7 years or so. IWB, I have a Brigade that has worked nicely that I had before Chris started his builds. I also have a Brigade pocket holster, but still not quite used to it yet. Stay thirsty my friends!!