DeSantis sof-tuck

Leather to kydex, factory or custom.
lklawson

DeSantis sof-tuck

Post by lklawson »

OK, just a quick 'review' here. More of a 'report', really.

I recently purchased a DeSantis sof-tuck from forum member Byrd. Made to fit PPK, PPK/S, and Colt Gvt. .380 (pics in BST thread).

It took me a few adjustments to find a cant angle and belt position that I liked. I CC my PF9 at about 4 o'clock but the sof-tuck didn't fit right there and the bbl end dug into my hip when sitting. Eventually I settled on something closer to 3 o'clock with what I'm guessing as about a 30 degree cant (I admit that I didn't measure it).

The fit is snug and retention is good. I moved around quite a bit and the pistol did not budge in the holster until I wanted it to.

The J-Hook setup feels a little wonky. It's tight no matter what fabric it clips too. When clipping to slacks it has a very tight "pinch" and even more so when clipping to blue jeans. One would think that the tighter fit to blue jeans material would mean that it is easier when clipping to slacks. Not so. Jeans material is stiffer and "stands" better when sliding the clip over the material. Slacks material has more opportunity to bunch up. Because the weight of the holster rides on the waistband, instead of the belt, it can drag down the material. Thus this holster, even more than a standard belt-clip arrangement, depends upon a tight, well fitting, belt cinch to lock the holster against the waist. The J-Hook does ensure that the holster is not drawn along with the firearm.

The holster rides the pistol grip up higher than what I'm used to but it works really well in this case. In fact, I'm seriously considering purchasing a sof-tuck in 1911 Gvt for my CZ-52 specifically because a higher ride will help with the '52s very long slide. I'm certain that the design was intended to offer the user plenty of room to grasp the grip, but the high ride is a nice bonus for me in this case.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."
Byrd

Re: DeSantis sof-tuck

Post by Byrd »

Good review, glad you like it Kirk!
From Above Only & Not Beneath!