Experimenting with Making a Holster

Leather to kydex, factory or custom.
ray1970

Experimenting with Making a Holster

Post by ray1970 »

I was bored the other day so I broke out some scrap leather and decided to try my hand at making a holster for my P64. Let me first say that working with leather is not really my cup of tea. So if you have any criticism for me, please keep it to yourself. Thanks.

The holster design is based on a holster made by Kramer... I believe the model was referred to as a "vertical scabbard"... it is an OWB holster that carries the gun in a near vertical position... the design of the holster pulls the butt of the pistol in close to the body.

This is only a "prototype" so please excuse the fact that it is a little crude... I made a pattern from it and will most likely make a nicer one later.

Excuse the picture quality. My camera is not very good and I had to take some pictures in a mirror to get the angles I wanted. I am wearing the holster slightly behind my right hip. Please excuse my love-handles.

Front side of holster.

Rear of holster.

Wearing the holster- front view.

Wearing the holster- side view.

wearing the holster- rear view.

dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Experimenting with Making a Holster

Post by dfunk »

Lookin' good!
I know that pattern as an Askin's Avenger. I made one for an M&P40 for my bro-in-law and it does ride very nicely.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

Good work Ray. After you do it a few times you just keep getting better and learning new tricks. dfunk and I can both vouch for that. Keep it up!!!
ToolBane

Post by ToolBane »

Boy I would have to say for a first round it looks good! Nice job and congrats on just doing it!! Most pukes that would flame you would never attempt it anyways, so good on! The only thing I saw was that you didn't bone it at all. That would majorly change the look. It would go from good to where did you buy that I think.
ray1970

Post by ray1970 »

dfunk- I checked out your website... beautiful work... I doubt I will ever be ambitious enough ( or good enough ) to try to sell my work... but I would like to get to the point where I can make nice looking, functional pieces for my own use and enjoyment... I may take a few more stabs at making a nicer one for the P64 then I have a revolver I would like to make a holster for... any tips on stitching these things?... right now I am using one of those hand stitchers that looks kind of like an awl... I pre-drill my holes and then stitch it by hand pulling each stitch as tight as I can by hand... kind of rough on my hands and a bit time consuming... thanks!
ray1970

Post by ray1970 »

ToolBane wrote:Boy I would have to say for a first round it looks good! Nice job and congrats on just doing it!! Most pukes that would flame you would never attempt it anyways, so good on! The only thing I saw was that you didn't bone it at all. That would majorly change the look. It would go from good to where did you buy that I think.
Thanks... like I said, it was kind of a "prototype" so I didn't put a whole lot of effort into the details at this point... will go a little farther on the next one to making it look a little more "store bought".
ToolBane

Post by ToolBane »

ray1970 wrote:any tips on stitching these things?
I just finished my first holster and was going to pop it up on here when I saw yours. If you go to tandy leather website there are some good instructional videos. I chose the hand sew method and feel it worked out great for me. Two needles back and forth and some time. You will still need to pre drill the holes but it is a much better way to secure it. IMHO
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

I use this on mine.
http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/sear ... kw=4+prong I've never heard of drilling holes.
Use a scribe or other pointed object to mark where your stitch line will be. Use a rubber mat and pound this thing all along that line. You'll get evenly spaced holes. For stitching, I use the heavy waxed Tejas nylon thread available from TLF. Put it in one of those heavy needles and go one way, turn around, and go back where you started. You get a very secure hold. Leathercraft cement makes an even better bond.
As for the molding, I prefer an actual wet-mold rather than forcing lines on a wetted holster, it doesn't look as good. I believe there is a difference.
Stitching awls take a lot of time, patience, and practice.
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dfunk »

When I hand stitch, I use an edge groover to mark the entire outline on the face of the holster. I use a freehand groover on the inside line (the line that runs under the belly of the pistol - your avenger pattern doesn't require one of these but they're like $10 or $15). I then run an overstitch wheel at 6 spi over the grooves. I take the smallest drill bit I have and pre-drill each hole on the marks left by the overstitch wheel. I then take some waxed 4-cord thread (my fav brand: http://www.mainethread.com ) and saddle stitch the whole thing. I like to use harness needles for stitching, but I know Tandy sells some generic needles that work well, too. The nice thing about the groovers is that they create a perfect line to run your stitches in, and because you took a thin layer of leather off of the grain side, your stitches will sit in the groove and be slightly inset - this is good for durability and looks nice, too. I also use a variety of other tools, but these are the ones I use when hand stitching.

Tip: A pair of surgical gloves while stitching helps you grab ahold of the needle and keeps your wedding ring and other things off the leather while stitching. I also use a thimble and when making the 2nd pass around the stitch line, require a set of needle-nose pliers to help pull the needle through. If the thread is digging in on my pinky finger from pulling the stitch tight, I wrap it with some medical tape.

Total investment in tools: ~$30 - $40
You can acquire a freehand groover, edge groover, and overstitch wheel from Tandy, but probably cheaper from the internet.

adjustable groover

freehand groover

overstitch wheel

I wrecked my hands to the point that they bled and it hurt to wash them. I knew at that time I was ready to spring for the machine. If you have any other questions, just ask.
ray1970

Post by ray1970 »

juniustaylor wrote:I use this on mine.
http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/sear ... kw=4+prong
I actually have one of these... I just use it for marking stitches... I had no idea I could just punch on through... thanks!

And thank you, Dfunk, for all the useful advice! It is appreciated very much!
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

ray1970 wrote:I actually have one of these... I just use it for marking stitches... I had no idea I could just punch on through... thanks!
I trace my line with a scribe, use that to mark my holes so I know where they will go, and punch on through the leather into a rubber mat on the back side of the leather.

My tip: Use a rubber or rawhide hammer when working with these punches and any other leather-working punches. You won't mushroom the head of the punch and it will last a whole lot longer. I bought the little $2 rubber mallet from Wally-World. It'll last you forever.

dfunk's method of making line by cutting a small groove would be rather nifty. I have thought of doing it in the past but am too cheap to buy a little groove tool.

Are you all using a power drill with a small bit or a pin-vise? The power drill would certainly be quicker.
ray1970

Post by ray1970 »

Currently I am drilling my stitch holes with a cordless drill with a 1/16" bit. I will probably try punching the next ones.

My preferred hammer is a plastic dead-blow. You can get more force delivered to your tools but still do not mushroom the ends.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

The dead blow would have been my next suggestion. I really thought about buying one at Harbor Freight when I finally decided using a 18 oz. steel hammer wasn't good on my tools. But, I had a rubber mallet for driving tent stakes and decided to give it a go. I have been pleased with it.

The drill method will probably make cleaner holes and yield cleaner stitches, but the 4-prong device may be a bit quicker than drilling individual holes. It's something to experiment with though. Try it on some scrap leather.
ToolBane

Post by ToolBane »

I used this punch.
http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/sear ... 0&kw=punch
Not Gonna say I loved it but it worked. A local tandy store told me to use this. then saddle stitch.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

Well, that would work, but it's certainly strange. 3/32" holes are pretty big but depending on the size of the thread, it could look alright. It's really meant for lace which is pretty thick, but I'm sure you know that.