Experimenting with Making a Holster

Leather to kydex, factory or custom.
ToolBane

Re: Experimenting with Making a Holster

Post by ToolBane »

juniustaylor wrote:Well, that would work, but it's certainly strange. 3/32" holes are pretty big but depending on the size of the thread, it could look alright. It's really meant for lace which is pretty thick, but I'm sure you know that.

Agreed! I wish she would have suggested a smaller size however it's not too bad. I can see light through the holes on some. The punch itself is a piece of crap!! But it got it done and could still go on if needed.
tomline

Post by tomline »

The diamond punch works best for clean stitching holes. After it's sewn, and you wet it to get a good fit, the holes close-up. I mounted my punch in a small press to speed things up.

Tandy sells some decent leather. But not top knotch like the big guys use. They really push using dyes. I would advise to just use pure neatsfoot oil after you're done and lay the item in the sun to tan to a nice reddish color.

On rough-side-out holsters, I've been putting acrylic resolene (clear) on the rough side when I'm done to keep the leather from getting fury. Seems to work pretty good. Resolene has an ammonia odor, and the ammonia helps stiffen the leather up.
benheart

Post by benheart »

Great looking holster. It looks very functional and comfortable.
bondwoodcustoms

Post by bondwoodcustoms »

That looks awsome. Great shape and great job.