CTD $9.99 Holster

Leather to kydex, factory or custom.
Foo Bird

CTD $9.99 Holster

Post by Foo Bird »

I bought the one for .380s and it looks to have been a waste of $9.99.

The pistol slips so far down into it, you may not be able to draw it in an emergency. Also as expected, it's low grade leather and I don't trust the stitching to hold up. It could be modified for a better fit by those who have worked with leather, but why bother?
One for smaller pistols (.25, .32) may have been better, but I'm not interested in finding out.
First time I crapped out on a cheap holster.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemDeta ... ku=ZAA-926

jebib3

Re: CTD $9.99 Holster

Post by jebib3 »

Thanks for the input. I got to admit I was looking at them strictly for the price. Time to move on though.
rottenrick

Post by rottenrick »

Foo Bird,

If you have a shoe repair shop handy you might be able to stitch just above the the black edge seal to tighten it up a bit. I did that with an 'Uncle Mike' nylon field holster for my .44SPL 3'' Bulldog. It was open at the bottom, the pistol was loose. I sewed it by hand using a large curved needle, braided nylon thread in a locking stitch. It tighted it right up, doesnt move at all.
Foo Bird

Post by Foo Bird »

rottenrick wrote:Foo Bird,

If you have a shoe repair shop handy you might be able to stitch just above the the black edge seal to tighten it up a bit. I did that with an 'Uncle Mike' nylon field holster for my .44SPL 3'' Bulldog. It was open at the bottom, the pistol was loose. I sewed it by hand using a large curved needle, braided nylon thread in a locking stitch. It tighted it right up, doesnt move at all.
RR, you are clearly a fan of light reading because this is the second time you've read my mind. I thought about doing the same thing. Problem is the leather is so cheap, I could see it tearing over time were I to do that.
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dfunk »

The issue with any "one size fits all holster is that it wasn't made to accommodate the little specifics of certain guns, and can pose a safety concern from a holstering and drawing standpoint.
holster.jpg
holster.jpg (13.28 KiB) Viewed 7524 times
Consider the photo above: I see 2 major design flaws right away.
1. The belt clip would place the belt right over the grip of the gun. Good luck drawing reliably and consistently.
2. The stitched side doesn't have any sort of relief area at the bottom of the trigger guard (red circle). Drawing will be difficult and inconsistent. Since there is no degree of cant (the holster sits at 90°), you'd going to need to wear this one up front to get any type of leverage to draw.

You get what you pay for with holsters, but occasionally you get a great deal on a good one. I advise to stay away from holsters designed this way.

I'd give this one to a local kid to put his cap gun in it.
Foo Bird

Post by Foo Bird »

dfunk wrote:The issue with any "one size fits all holster is that it wasn't made to accommodate the little specifics of certain guns, and can pose a safety concern from a holstering and drawing standpoint.
holster.jpg
Consider the photo above: I see 2 major design flaws right away.
1. The belt clip would place the belt right over the grip of the gun. Good luck drawing reliably and consistently.
2. The stitched side doesn't have any sort of relief area at the bottom of the trigger guard (red circle). Drawing will be difficult and inconsistent. Since there is no degree of cant (the holster sits at 90°), you'd going to need to wear this one up front to get any type of leverage to draw.

You get what you pay for with holsters, but occasionally you get a great deal on a good one. I advise to stay away from holsters designed this way.

I'd give this one to a local kid to put his cap gun in it.
Yup, it's craptastic. Fortunately I can warn others with the knowledge I've gained.
woolworth405

Post by woolworth405 »

I have the small one it works fine.