Leather/Kydex hybrid

Leather to kydex, factory or custom.
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Leather/Kydex hybrid

Post by dfunk »

Hey fellas,
I'm gearing up to start working on this new pattern - I should have it ready in a week or two. This one has a Kydex body with tuckable clips. Here's a 'beta' screenshot for you. Thanks!

rottenrick

Leather/Kydex hybrid

Post by rottenrick »

Looks interesting, looks awful large though. But, you do good work. My order for a pancake and double mag holder is forth coming. I KNOW QUALITY WHEN I SEE IT. You're at the top of the heap. If it wasn't for guys like you there would be no advacements.
sweetknuckles

Leather/Kydex hybrid

Post by sweetknuckles »

Hmmm...MTAC and CB Soopertuck watchout!!

I am literally on the verge of picking up one of the two names above, but this tease of yours has me thinking about USGL

Clips metal or plastic?
Possible to have black leather? Upcharge? Would you see any downside to a black leather backing for the wearer?
Rivets exposed on back? (curiousity, not imperative)
What charge for a second Kydex body to hold a G27? (this would be HUGE)
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Leather/Kydex hybrid

Post by dfunk »

sweetknuckles - the clips are Kydex as well as the body. The clips are .125" thick and the body is .093". Realistically, the clips could also be made from the .093" without any loss in stability or strength. This was a prototype I threw together before we walked out the door for a dinner, so it's rough. Yes, I could dye the leather black (or any other color I offer, for that matter) - no charge. The only downside I could foresee is a slight bit of crocking due to the flesh side of the leather being dyed and up against a warm, potentially wet body. I use an acrylic topcoat, so it also wouldn't be as comfy as it would left natural. I could be wrong though - I've not tried it. The rivets are actually tee nuts and they are exposed on the rear. I wrestled around with different thoughts on this and ultimately decided that if I had covered the back with leather to hide the tee nuts, it would be nearly impossible for the user to fix the holster if one popped loose. With them exposed, you could simply drive it back home with a mallet. I think somewhere around $30 is fair for a spare body.

I should note that I'm n the process and nearly finished with a pattern that is all leather but in the shape of the one pictured above. It has Kydex clips instead of the leather loops so you can tuck with it. I don't much care for Kydex when it comes to IWB carry and definitely prefer leather when available. I'll probably make a black/black right hand when the pattern's done and throw it up here for sale.
Last edited by dfunk on April 3rd, 2009, 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
sweetknuckles

Leather/Kydex hybrid

Post by sweetknuckles »

Thanks DF.

Crocking?
Would love to see backside of holster so I can figure out what Tee Nuts are.
Can't quite visualize it in all leather, and seems that might negate my option of having a second body for changeout. Doesn't mean it won't be a great holster, of course.

I know you have things going on, so no rush on further details, but it sounds interesting.
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Leather/Kydex hybrid

Post by dfunk »

Crocking is dye transferring to your clothes or skin.
The tee nuts are the same kin dyou'd get at any hardware store. The image below show a reverse side of a holster:

You're right, it would negate the option of separate bodies. As it is, I simply don't have the time to create a large product line. Molding Kydex isn't hard - it's the leather that takes the most time. Stay in touch though, as I may be able to accommodate you.
Last edited by dfunk on April 6th, 2009, 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
impackin

Leather/Kydex hybrid

Post by impackin »

Hello dickfunk;
Any up date on this holster?
impackin

dickfunk wrote:Hey fellas,
I'm gearing up to start working on this new pattern - I should have it ready in a week or two. This one has a Kydex body with tuckable clips. Here's a 'beta' screenshot for you. Thanks!

I carry a gun, because a cop is too heavy
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Leather/Kydex hybrid

Post by dfunk »

impackin,
I've been extremely busy with the leather gear, I haven't had much time to devote to the hybrids. If you're interested, fire off an email to : p64@insightbb.com and we can the the ball rolling.
rick9plus

Leather/Kydex hybrid

Post by rick9plus »

I have been looking into getting a leather/kydex IWB holster for my P-64. I found a manufacturer/product called Kholster (www.khholster.com), but they don't make a holster for the P-64 or CZ-82 which is what I am looking for.

Kholster's run around $40. You should check out their website if you haven't seen it. What will the pricing be for your P-64 holster? Any thoughts on making one for the CZ-82? I have heard that it has the same form as a Beretta model.
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Leather/Kydex hybrid

Post by dfunk »

Rick,
I simply haven't had the time to work all of this out with the Kydex hybrid. I've seen almost all makes of these, Kholsters, Crossbreed, Comp-Tac, Kevin at K&D has one now, etc. Mine will be priced competitively, but right now, I have lots of leather to keep me busy.
lucenut

Leather/Kydex hybrid

Post by lucenut »

I'm very interested too. Start a new thread when you are ready to crank them out.
stillkruzn

Leather/Kydex hybrid

Post by stillkruzn »

I would definitely be interested in one of these...
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Leather/Kydex hybrid

Post by dfunk »

Tagging this so I can post something neat here in about 2 weeks. ;)
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dfunk »

Well, after that initial build about 3 years ago, I finally have my own version of a hybrid holster for the P64.

Couple interesting notes..
This holster's leather back is 2 pieces of stitched leather, instead of a single layer. This is nice for a few reasons. The back is wet formed against the front kydex body, so you'll notice a distinct click when you holster the gun. The leather is flexible to curve to your body, and like all of my holsters, was built with a pre-curve for comfort. Because the leather back is so thick, it's not detail boned on the back side. This helps keep things comfortable. I made several iterations of this thing, and I'm finally happy with where it's at.

This is the first one for sale. It's marked PROTO on the reverse, as I wanted to wear it around before it went out to be absolutely sure in it's performance.
These holsters have the same amount of leather as my normal IWB's, plus the addition of the kydex and extra hardware, so the price will be slightly more than the standard, but not by much. Since this one has been worn, I'm selling it for $60 + $3 shipping. I will post this to my US GUNLEATHER site, but felt it was more appropriate to let its debut be here.
First to email or PM gets it.

Any questions, comments, critiques, feel free!

Thanks, fellas!

eclipse57

Post by eclipse57 »

PM has been sent.

This is beautiful! Just what I have been looking for.