deep concealment!?

Leather to kydex, factory or custom.
big54r

deep concealment!?

Post by big54r »

I have a dickfunk p64 holster and love it very much, but this weekend I was thinking I might need a deep concealment holster for when I do my video productions (I'm a professional videographer) and was wondering if anyone here has any info on a smart carry rig and if the p64 will fit it?

They are a deep conceal belly type rig that carries down below the belly along the waist just above the groin area for men.
sugosugita

deep concealment!?

Post by sugosugita »

clipdraw. (clipdraw.com) Haven't used it yet, but got one ordered and some people swear by them. ;)
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

deep concealment!?

Post by anjdrifter »

I have a holster(pager pal) you might be referring to and use it from my 1911 to the p64 and a bunch of other stuff. it is very concealable , it takes a litle getting use to but over all works fine. I very rarely ever use it but like so many of use have more carry equipment then I could use but one never knows just which one will be perfect for the day you need it or circumstance...
Last edited by anjdrifter on January 21st, 2009, 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
big54r

deep concealment!?

Post by big54r »

this is the holster system I am talking about, looks interesting dont' ya think?

sorta based on a fanny pack design but not.

http://www.smartcarry.com/
justplainbill

deep concealment!?

Post by justplainbill »

I carry my P64 all day every day in a Pager Pal. It is DEEP concealment. It is not fast draw but most instances don't call for fast draw as much as they call for having it with you, not out in the car or at home in the drawer. If someone has the drop on you, there is no such thing as a fast enough draw from any holster. But, if the perp turns his head to see if the cops really are coming like you said, or bends down to pick up the wallet you threw on the ground, shame on his ass, it's fast enough to handle him then.
mirother

deep concealment!?

Post by mirother »

Questions for Big54r and justplainbill--I just hate IWB holsters. Big54r, how exactly do you carry smartcarry? Is the gun inside the pants at the abdomen? Justplainbill, I saw a pager pal once, but it was a second. The dummy pager was all beat up, and it did not look real comfortable. Where exactly does this carry happen. It seem that it is between the pants and any underwear. Am I wrong? Sorry if these are dumb questions.
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

deep concealment!?

Post by dfunk »

Consider this AD story before going the Smart Carry route
http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=393304
justplainbill

deep concealment!?

Post by justplainbill »

The pager pal is made for left hand draw or right hand draw. Depending on which you are it carrys on your off hand side resting on the top of your thigh. It bends where you bend when you sit down so it is comfortable. It is a two hand draw. Pull up and toward your strong side on the pager with your off hand and grab you pistol grip with your strong hand.
Loneviking's problem wasn't with his holster, it was his gun. However, bending down with a with a Smart Carry is awkward and uncomfortable. Carrying a P64 with the one in the chamber and the hammer down is as safe as any type of loaded gun can be.
Accidents and carelessness can make any arragement go wrong.
jpb
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

deep concealment!?

Post by dfunk »

justplainbill wrote: Loneviking's problem wasn't with his holster, it was his gun. However, bending down with a with a Smart Carry is awkward and uncomfortable. Carrying a P64 with the one in the chamber and the hammer down is as safe as any type of loaded gun can be.
Accidents and carelessness can make any arragement go wrong.
jpb
I disagree. People carry cocked and locked all the time, and with a proper holster, is safe.

This way (the smartcarry) allows the gun to shift and free-float in a pouch, with zero effective retention or significant material covering the trigger guard. Not to mention, it's not accessible. His gun was fine.
shinerjohn

deep concealment!?

Post by shinerjohn »

big54r, I have a SmartCarry that I originally bought for my Ruger LCP. The LCP is off for recall work and I've been carrying my P64 in the SmartCarry just fine. There are several places where deep concealment is a must for me. SmartCarry provides that. I wear it with front-pleated Dockers style pants. I carry the pistol and a spare mag. The back shirt tail is pulled out over the rig. This keeps it from riding up in the back above the belt line. I've found if I shift it slightly to the left of center, I have no problems in the bathroom.
No one has 'made' me wearing SmartCarry. If I catch a female starring, I'll get her name and number.... :)
This rig works well for me when I need deep concealment. The company is easy to deal with. I have nothing but good to say about SmartCarry.
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

deep concealment!?

Post by blinddog »

I use my Clip Draw on my P-64 90% of the time. It is sturdy comfy to carry in the waste band and it hasn't come loose on me. I usually wear 24-7, with exceptions of course. I liked it enough to buy as extra in case I want to install another on my other P-64 or PA-63.

blinddog
hairypolack

deep concealment!?

Post by hairypolack »

dickfunk wrote:Consider this AD story before going the Smart Carry route
http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=393304
I cringed throughout that whole post. I think I will just keep to my IWB holsters I have already.
grayfox
Veteran member
Veteran member

deep concealment!?

Post by grayfox »

I just can't get over the surprize that would be on a bad guy's face if you "unzipped" when he asked for your "stuff". ;D 8-)
daddyrabbit

deep concealment!?

Post by daddyrabbit »

here is a link to pager pal ;)I like mine 8-)
http://www.pagerpal.com/
hickboyy

deep concealment!?

Post by hickboyy »

Hello all, new owner of a p-64, and new member of the forum.

I have been carrying a makarov in a pager pal modified to hold a knife instead of a pager (something actually usable) for a couple of years now. I wear it everywhere, even at work where I am often bending and squatting. I find it a great way to carry and having the gun loaded with hammer down, VERY safe. I plan to use it with my p-64, which seems more comfortable as it is thinner than my mak.

What makes this rig even better is I am always grabbing my knife out of it to open boxes and no one even bats an eye or has a clue as to what it is attached to.

BTW: That clipdraw looks pretty snazzy, I am going to look into getting one.

Also, has anyone tried a covert carrier that fits over the grip? I bought one for my mak, but just couldn't get used to it. Was going to try it on my p-64, but can't find it at the moment.

HB