Leather to kydex, factory or custom.
ender

Don't laugh - 1st try

Post by ender »

i would buy this from you! it looks sweet
rfaudree

Don't laugh - 1st try

Post by rfaudree »

Dickfunk could you give me your contact info I have a project I want you to do.My phone number is 304-697-0139 and if this number gets in the wrong hands Ill know what to do.Thanks,Anyone on here can call me if they want,Im 43 and have been shooting since I was 5.
rottenrick

Don't laugh - 1st try

Post by rottenrick »

All you have to do is go to US GUNLEATHER WEB SITE. BTW Was that a threat?? Dickfunk is reputable businessman, one of the best. I have one of his rigs.
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Don't laugh - 1st try

Post by dfunk »

rfaudree wrote:Dickfunk could you give me your contact info I have a project I want you to do.My phone number is 304-697-0139 and if this number gets in the wrong hands Ill know what to do.Thanks,Anyone on here can call me if they want,Im 43 and have been shooting since I was 5.
You can email me with P64 related stuff at: p64@insightbb.com or with gunleather stuff directly from www.usgunleather.com
hairypolack

Don't laugh - 1st try

Post by hairypolack »

dickfunk, have you ever attempted to make a holster with mag pouches as well?
rottenrick

Don't laugh - 1st try

Post by rottenrick »

hairypolack, got a holster and a dual mag carrier. Looks like I'm not going to get my Nikon 50 back anytime soon, so I'll get a smaller digital camera(was looking for an excuse anyway). It's all in dark brown kind'a Chesnut colored. Looks good with Dennis's walnut grips. Both items are curved to fit the contour of the body. Lot''s of ow's an aww's
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Don't laugh - 1st try

Post by dfunk »

hairypolack wrote:dickfunk, have you ever attempted to make a holster with mag pouches as well?
I've not made any holsters with attached mag carriers, as I'm primarily making concealment holsters. If you're interested and know what you want, I can accommodate you - just send me an email from www.usgunleather.com and we'll get the ball rolling!
Thanks.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Don't laugh - 1st try

Post by juniustaylor »

I made a concealed holster for my P-64 as well. This is in black and white because my camera took a lousy picture. The suede is a chocolate brown, the reinforcement leather at the opening is dyed black 5/6oz leather. The clip is black. It is very secure and seems to hide very well under a larger shirt, XL in my case. Anything more than a shirt and it's even more concealed. I've been making holsters for a couple years now, a friend of mine got me into it and he's always impressed with the ideas I come up with. I've made knife sheaths, muzzleloading possibles bags, holsters, shotgun shell belt slide (holds 6 12ga shells), and a lot of other stuff. I haven't got into the wet molding stuff yet though.

US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Don't laugh - 1st try

Post by dfunk »

They look real nice.
You might try using waxed thread instead of artifical sinew, and give an overstitch wheel a try - you might find that it makes your stitches more even.

Keep it up!
boomer

Don't laugh - 1st try

Post by boomer »

There very nice indeed. I am not laughing. If anything, I am jealous and only wish I had your talent and patience.

Regards,
Boomer
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Don't laugh - 1st try

Post by juniustaylor »

dickfunk wrote:They look real nice.
You might try using waxed thread instead of artifical sinew, and give an overstitch wheel a try - you might find that it makes your stitches more even.

Keep it up!
Were you replying to my stuff, I couldn't tell? If you were, I use waxed nylon thread, heavy stuff (Tejas Brand) from Tandy Leather Factory. I don't use the stitch wheel device for the hole placement. I have before when my friend got me into it, but it seemed to take up more time using it and then having to use an awl to poke through the leather. I use that fork-looking diamond hole punch 1/8" offsets. I suppose I could look and see if they have one with a bit larger offset. If not, I'll have to buy the wheel-jobber and give that a try. Thanks for the advice and encouragement!

juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Don't laugh - 1st try

Post by juniustaylor »

I've been experimenting with tooling leather, I don't think it will ever get old. A holster here, a holster there, once you've done a couple, you've done them all. Tooling is pretty much all original and no two are ever even remotely the same. Here's a couple pictures of stuff I've done. I still need to come up with a few more punches and such for other things, but for what I've got now, I'm alright.

Keychain: First tooled leather project I made

Refrigerator magnet

Refrigerator magnet

Refrigerator magnet

Another holster I made for a friend, fits Sig P230 and EG Makarov:
Sig P230

EG Makarov
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Don't laugh - 1st try

Post by dfunk »

juniustaylor wrote:A holster here, a holster there, once you've done a couple, you've done them all.
Haha, I couldn't disagree more! Every holster I make gets better and better, and I learn where I need to spend more or less time and find better ways to do things. I guess I just have more of a passion for the gunleather - to each his own!

This holster is nothing like the ones I built when I first started, and I'm quite proud of it. This particular rig makes concealing a Govt 1911 a piece of cake, and quite comfortable.
(The Kimber is a Clackamas era Classic Custom - my bro's)

Last edited by dfunk on February 15th, 2010, 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Don't laugh - 1st try

Post by juniustaylor »

I definitely figure out things I'd have liked to have done better. I constantly send pictures of stuff to my friend that got me into this. He's stationed at Whiteman AFB, in MO. He always likes my ideas and likes to hear how I would have changed something to make it better.

Do you really like that "tongue" on the back of the holster to keep the hammer/beaver tail from rubbing your side? I did that on that holster for the Mak / P230, but my friend Frank said that it wasn't as comfortable and he liked using a towel/washcloth for padding instead. I think that he did say being older and a bit bigger that it doesn't make it as comfortable with the tongue, however, if you're more slender/average build, it may be alright. I never did wear it to see what I thought.

You and I may get along real well, don't be surprised if I send you a PM every now and then for your advice / opinion.
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Don't laugh - 1st try

Post by dfunk »

I like the guard on the back. They tend to be very useful if you are a bit bigger, as you don't have the steel beavertail digging into your side. It also really helps keep sweat off the steel. The guard itself only covers the area of the pistol, so it's properly fitted. I know there are some folks that don't care much for them - I'll make 'em with or without.