How to carry...

Leather to kydex, factory or custom.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Re: How to carry...

Post by Curly1 »

Did you have your finger inside of the trigger guard while you were cocking the hammer?
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Birds Away

Post by Birds Away »

I usually carry the P64 as a BUG. I am a righty but have practiced with it almost exclusively left handed. I carry whatever primary EDC for my right hand and the P64 in my left hand jacket pocket 6+1 safety on. So far, I haven't had an issue clicking the safety off left handed. When summer rolls around I will use the P64 as a primary for very short trips. My primary will usually be my CZ 82 or 83 or my P83.
bowsavage

Post by bowsavage »

At work we carry Glock 22s in what we call duty ready. (I know that's about the only way to carry a Glock) My firearms instructor preaches that we carry off duty all the time. You would be surprised how many cops don't carry off duty. As for having one in the chamber it really depends on what you are comfortable with. The key to how you carry is practice, practice, practice. I have triple retention on my duty holster and now i can draw in one seamless movement as if there were no retention at all. It may sound funny but the best way to practice is to stand in front of a mirror and watch how you draw. Muscle memory will eventually take over it will be as simple a task as tying your shoes. (always practice on an empty chamber) The saying I like to tell people when they ask me about CC is think of your gun like a condom when you were 17, it is better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. Even with a tap, rack, and ready no matter how you carry you have still made the decision not to be a victim and that is what counts.
p64-1973

Post by p64-1973 »

I carry mine in a IWB holster with one in the tube, safety on. I carry the spare magazine on the left side in a leather magazine carrier. I use the Silver Bear 94 grain JHP's.
Those who beat their weapons into plows will do nothing, but till the soil for those who do not.
bstickler92

Post by bstickler92 »

Once I get my CCW, I will carry IWB in a PPK holster 6+1. I have not yet decided on whether or not to go with safety on or off. I was playing with the safety and trigger(unloaded of course) and I found that with the safety lever halfway between safe and fire, you can have the hammer back, the trigger is disengaged(as in it will pull all the way back with no resistance like the safety is on) and the hammer block of the safety is blocking the firing pin. What do y'all think about that function? Has anyone found that before?
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Welcome to the forum.

Someone posted on here last year they carried it in their pocket with the safety off and they had a discharge when I think when they were putting it back in their pocket.

They got lucky no serious injuries.

It's called a safety for a reason, don't use it at your own risk and those around you.

I will have to see if I can dig up that post.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

Curly1

its not called a safety , its a decocker , and there was no written police report on these guys that said they shot them self's with a P-64 , and if they had gone to a doctor there would be one ,its the law in ever state
bstickler92
you ether put the decocker on or off , don't put it half way, that's how accidents happen

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

It does block the firing pin so in a sense it can be viewed as a safety.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

all 6 P-64's of mine have a rebounding hammer's on them , and I haven't change anything in mine except springs
The hammer automatically rebounds to a blocked position off of the firing pin
the hammer will not fall on the firing pin until the trigger is pulled , once pulled it will fire if the hammer was back

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Norm did you carry yours w/o the decoker on?
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

yes
norm
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

This is the thread you were referring to: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4378&p=42642&hilit= ... ety#p42642

I agree with Norm. Either use it as a safety, or use it as a decocker. There is NO half way.

But lets not argue about what it's called. In almost all the manuals it's called a "Safety". Lets just agree it's a safety/decocker.
http://katowice.szkolapolicji.gov.pl/?p ... =3387&sa=1
http://www.jgsales.com/manuals/P64Manual.pdf
http://p64resource.com/board/P64_Parts_List.pdf

As I've stated before since there is no firing pin block, always put pressure on the hammer with your thumb when shifting/moving a P-64 this will ensure the hammer does not catch and release from clothing like in the linked thread.
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

Curly1

sorry I stand corrected it is called a safety in the manuals , and thank you Weasel640
but I do stand by my statement , on having a rebounding hammer's on them , you would have to smack the hammer with hammer to get it to fire with the hammer down, unless there is something wrong with the pistol , or its been modified, or the finger is on the trigger and the some how the hammer is drawn back and trigger is pulled,

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Norm,

I agree about the rebounding hammer, P83 and CZ82 I believe have them also I will have to look at them.

I wonder if they were ever subject to the "drop test" on those hammers with the safety/decocker off and if they past if they were.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

Curly1

I wouldn't want to try it , liable to brake something before it ever when off

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976