Best IWB holster (better fit: PPK or SigP230?)

Leather to kydex, factory or custom.
creature

Post by creature »

Here's the prob: I have a Polish P64 (1973 triangle hammer) which I recently purchased. Great little gun by the way. Yeah, it had the DA trigger from the Planet Thor, but I have since changed out the hammer spring and it is now a great little pistol to shoot in DA as well as SA mode. Cheap, well made, and freakishly accurate...and well on it's way to proving to be reliable enough to be a CCW option. No FTF/FTE so far at 300rnds and counting. It will get the green light to CCW when it reaches 1,000 problem free rounds.

Now I want to look for a holster for it. To me the P-64 resembles the Walther PPK more than the Sig P230. So I have two questions:

The first question is for those who also own a PPK and/or a P230.

The second question is for P64 experts.

Question 1: Brand options. Which brand of IWB holster (preferably with a clip instead of a loop) have you found to be the best for your PPK/P230. I prefer leather and I am familair with the Bianchi 100 Professional holsters, but I am open to other options out there like the Glaco Ultra Deep Cover (UDC) holster. Anything else I should really take a look at?

Question 2: Holster fit. Is the P64 dimensionally closer to a PPK or a Sig P230? To me the P64 looks to be closer overall to a PPK than a P230, but I dont have a PPK to do a side-by-side-by-side comparison. To my eye, the P230 looks to be a bit slimmer and longer than a PPK, so a holster for a PPK might fit a P64 better than a holster for a P230?

Thanks all.
donnerwetter58

Post by donnerwetter58 »

I have 2 leather IWB holsters, both DeSantis.
The first is a Cozy Partner for the Sig P230 and the H&K HK4 according to the label. It fits the P-64 perfectly. This is an open top holster with no thumbreak.
The second is the Waistband Clip listed for the PP, PPK and PPKS Walthers. It fits the P-64 very well also.
The fobus holsters for the Sig 230 / 232 are an excellent fit for the P-64.
Hope this helps.
gotmak

Post by gotmak »

I carry my Mak, but my wife carries the P-64 in the car or purse. In the car she holsters it in a BagMaster nylon w\extra mag. This is OWB, however, and If I begin to carry it, I would want the same kind I use for My Maks. A Brigade M-11 Ultimate C.C.H. It is very comfortable form fits to the hip, and makes carrying a heaver, all steel, gun a pleasure. My .02
http://www.brigadegunleather.com/m-11.html

Troy is a great guy to do business with! He is a true craftsman, and I will get another M-11 fitted to my P-64 if my wife lets me have the P-64 back. >:(
Last edited by gotmak on June 16th, 2008, 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
creature

Post by creature »

This is the holster I got today. Made by James Kirk of Backwoods Leather. It is a IWB holster w/ clip fitted for the PPK.

Excellent fit and finish. I will be calling him for another holster for my snubby.

weetabix

Post by weetabix »

Creature -

Do you have a link for these guys?
http://crossbreedholsters.com/beltslide.html

They say they can fit a PPK.
Last edited by weetabix on March 20th, 2008, 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
torpeau

Post by torpeau »

Question 1: Brand options. Which brand of IWB holster (preferably with a clip instead of a loop) have you found to be the best for your PPK/P230. I prefer leather and I am familiar with the Bianchi 100 Professional holsters, but I am open to other options out there like the Glaco Ultra Deep Cover (UDC) holster. Anything else I should really take a look at?

Question 2: Holster fit. Is the P64 dimensionally closer to a PPK or a Sig P230? To me the P64 looks to be closer overall to a PPK than a P230, but I dont have a PPK to do a side-by-side-by-side comparison. To my eye, the P230 looks to be a bit slimmer and longer than a PPK, so a holster for a PPK might fit a P64 better than a holster for a P230?
Q1. Here's the vendor for another clip holster. I bought one for the small of my back. http://mernickleholsters.com/ps/ps2sobr1/ps2sobr1.htmli
I had hoped that the clip could quickly and easily slip over my waistband in case I had to answer the door in the middle of the night. These clips are a little more difficult than I had hoped in this situation.

Q2. A P-64 is a miniscule 1mm longer than a PPK. The holster I got from Mernickle was for a P232/230 which is 13mm longer than a P-64. The P-64 is slightly looser in this holster, but I'd say it's not a problem. BTW, a Mak is thicker than a P232/230 and is too tight a fit in this holster.
"The only time we see the middle of the road
is as we run from side to side." R.O. Clark
garda77

Post by garda77 »

Which would be better to get, one made for the p230 or p232? The p232 has wider grip serrations on the slide. Would it even make a difference?
rmeron

Post by rmeron »

Check out Mika's holsters. I sent him a drawing of my P64 and he made a template for the pistol and I should have it sometime within the next two weeks.
I don't know anyone who makes one just for the P64.
garda77

Post by garda77 »

Not big on pocket holsters. I thought a Desantis Insider would do the trick, and $25 isn't too bad a price.
724wd

Post by 724wd »

i have a Galco IWB and my P64 fits great. it doesnt print with an untucked shirt. it was a bit tight at first, but is just right now (after 6 months)

it is for the Sig P230.
rmeron

Post by rmeron »

these holsters from Mika are IWB holsters,it's a new line he's trying,I'm having him give me a 15 degree forward cant.
garda77

Post by garda77 »

I didn't see that, thanks for pointing that out. It looks a bit better made, although its hard to tell from internet pics, and I'd rather support a small business. You'll have to give us a review once you get it.
kurremkarm

Post by kurremkarm »

Mika currently has some unreal wait time, I've been waiting forever for one for my 442. He does say he will get back to 3 week turn around after the first of the year.
coastal240

Post by coastal240 »

I had the Galco IWB until I got the ClipDraw. After using the clipdraw once I retired my IWB and haven't used it again. The clipdraw completely changes your carry experience.

http://www.clipdraw.com/

Tom
bil

Re: Best IWB holster (better fit: PPK or SigP230?)

Post by bil »

coastal240 wrote:I had the Galco IWB until I got the ClipDraw. After using the clipdraw once I retired my IWB and haven't used it again. The clipdraw completely changes your carry experience.

http://www.clipdraw.com/

Tom
Well, Tom, It's been almost two years since you posted this. How do you like the ClipDraw now? And problems?
I wondered why they sent six extra pieces - does it fail after awhile?
Thanks,
bil