Fanny packs

Leather to kydex, factory or custom.
ourbigbluehouse

Fanny packs

Post by ourbigbluehouse »

I have a belly band holster made of elastic and velco but found it to clumsy trying to get past my shirt tail and since it was originally made for a Bersa Thunder, it has to be modified for the heavier P64. It allows the pistol to slide deeper in the pocket and then harder to grasp. I tried a couple of in pocket designs and had difficulty in removal as well with them. I bought a fanny pack (Bulldog brand). It has several adjustable straps to hold the pistol and two a additional storage pockets. The main pocket has two zippers and a pull cord that opens the compartment for quick access to my P64 What I wanted to know does anyone use such a method for their main method of carry?
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

Fanny packs

Post by carguy »

I don't carry either way but I've heard several people say the bellyband tends to allow moisture from persperation to sit on the metal and can damage the finish so be careful.
slackone

Fanny packs

Post by slackone »

...I'm not the only one that sees a fanny pack and automatically assumes someone is carrying a gun in it, am I?
trent
Veteran member
Veteran member

Fanny packs

Post by trent »

valid point there, mind you if you look like a foreign Tourist you probably have nothing to worry about
volfandan

Fanny packs

Post by volfandan »

valid point there, mind you if you look like a foreign Tourist you probably have nothing to worry about
Dude, you're too funny!
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Fanny packs

Post by gunneyrabbit »

I use a fanny/gun pack in the summer when I want to carry full sized semi autos on long solitary walks and hikes and I assume that anyone I meet waring a fanny pack is carrying concealed also. I'm a firm believer in an armed society is a polite society and act accordingly at all times. Better safe than sorry as the old adage goes.
G.R.
thurston

Fanny packs

Post by thurston »

Slack One wrote:...I'm not the only one that sees a fanny pack and automatically assumes someone is carrying a gun in it, am I?
you and every cop i've spoken to.
grayfox
Veteran member
Veteran member

Fanny packs

Post by grayfox »

Fanny packs & safari vest all advertise that you are carrying.
kilogulf59

Fanny packs

Post by kilogulf59 »

I too think “gun” when I see a man using one of these. Perhaps this is sexist but when a woman uses one, especially if she has kids with her, I do not think twice about it.

Personally, I have always thought it was a valid carry option for women as opposed to men. This is simply my opinion and thought process, not a condemnation of so-called fanny packs.
Take Care and Stay Safe,
Ken aka kilogulf59

Integrated Close Combat Forum
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Fanny packs

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Did a seven mile hike this morning carrying the P-64 in a gun pack, fully loaded and decocked with a full mag in the attached mag pouch, credit cards, keys, phone and cash all in their appropriate sections. When I took off it was 70F, when I got back to the car it was 83F. I was hot, dusty, sticky and and had re-thought the use of a gun pack in hot weather. I would have been much better off carrying in my Uncle Mikes holster and the extra mag in it's mag pouch, lighter and cooler. The thing started to aggravate me at about three miles in, by the time I got back to the car I was waring it over my right shoulder. Oh well, live and learn.

G.R.
ozarker

Fanny packs

Post by ozarker »

How to carry is like RV's. There is something that will fit everyone's needs. I have a RV and in the summer travel with gym shorts and t-shirt how do you carry your billfold, etc. I found the fannypack to fit my needs. Still don't like to sit on my billfold. I carry the fanny pack over my left shoulder, fully loaded with two extra mag. One in the tube with safety off.

But to each their own.
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Fanny packs

Post by himmel »

I have a friend who carries with a fanny pack--and yes, I assumed he was carrying the first time I noticed it on him, it was partly assumptions about sexual differences and partly because in the circles I and this guy run in, almost all the menfolks carry (and now that you mention it, safari vests are big in our circle, too...)
dolang1
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Fanny packs

Post by dolang1 »

himmel, My brother-n-law calls those " Shoot Me First Vests". I wear one to every gun show I go to. Later Don
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Fanny packs

Post by himmel »

Maybe I should pass that on to my friends...Come to think of it, one has changed to a windbreaker, but I don't know that that's any better in this warm weather...