New safe purchase questions

Leather to kydex, factory or custom.
talon

Post by talon »

Hello All,

Just bought a new safe, getting delivered this Saturday. This baby weighs 900lbs. :o ;D holds 36 long guns and then some..

Have a couple of questions.

I'm putting it into my garage a straight shot in, with a turn to the south wall. I was wondering what recommendations you might have on placement. Or problems to avoid if any?

Should I flush it to the wall, or leave a space behind it?

Should I leave it on the pallet so I can move it when we remodel the garage? I can probably create a faux cover around the pallet and make it look like a carpeted step up etc. Or would the pallet possibly break down after a while.

If I take it off of the pallet what would you recommend I would need to move this bigboy it in the not so near future.

Any thoughts/ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Peace,
Talon 8-)
fjblackesq

Post by fjblackesq »

Talon, et al: take care that there is no visual exposure to the street. Go to wal-mart; lowes, Menards, etc and get some large coasters that are used to move appliances and other heavy objects. For 900# you will probably need eight or more to be placed under the safe. You can then manuver it where you want it. then, from the inside of the safe, drill four 1/2 inch holes (one in each corner)_ and have holes run thru the concrete below. then put 1/2 lag bolts thru and anchor the safe to the floor. This makes the safe an agttachment that is not eazy to steal. Make a canvas cover for the whole works. take appropriate steps to protect against water, moisgturde, etc. gdood luck
tunnelrat

Post by tunnelrat »

take care that there is no visual exposure to the street

Make a canvas cover for the whole works
Yup, that which can be seen, can be stolen -- even at 900 pounds!

BTW, how do you plan to sweep under it...? ;)
talon

Post by talon »

take care that there is no visual exposure to the street

Make a canvas cover for the whole works
Yup, that which can be seen, can be stolen -- even at 900 pounds!

BTW, how do you plan to sweep under it...? ;)
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the tips! I wonder if those large "moving cups" would flatten out over extended time under load? gotta research them.

I agree with your comments about being seen, where I'm planning on setting it to my south wall it can not be seen from the street[. I'm leaning towards keeping it on the pallet (if its in sturdy shape) I'm not sure a burgler will have a 1 ton pallet jack in his gear bag LOL.

Thanks gents, keep the ideas coming I have until Saturday morning. :)

>>BTW, how do you plan to sweep under it...?<<
TCH! Uhhh with my straw broom and dust pan DUH! ;)

Actually, I've thought about that ;D if I leave it on the pallett I'll use my air lance

Peace,
Talon 8-)
Last edited by talon on May 1st, 2006, 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dfunk »

First off, a 900 lb safe would not only take hours to steal, there would then be the problem of acquiring the good within without damaging any of them. Theives are not your issue, unauthorized acess and pristine conditions are reasons you need a safe.

I would only bolt it to the floor if the floor itself wasn't level - which I assume it probably is.

Watch the guys deliver it on Saturday and then tell me how likely it is that a theif could snatch it from you and manuever it through doorways.
kempin

Post by kempin »

Talon,

Personally, I would leave it on the pallet for the time being, since you are going to have it in your garage. (Particularly if you think you might move it again!) Since it will not be climate controlled, there will probably be some moisture condensation on the concrete. Plus parking cars in wet weather/winter conditions could introduce moisture. (Understand, of course, that this is a Minnesota perspective. Perhaps you don't have enough moisture in AZ to condense!) In any case, unless there is consistent moisture over time, the pallet would be more than strong enough for it to sit on. That is what it was designed for.

Bolting it to the floor seems like a good idea, but if the safe is as high quality as it sounds, I don't think you will be able to drill through it very easily. Nine hundred pounds is usually a pretty effective deterrent anyway, unless the word gets out that the contents are exceptionally valuable. The easiest thing to do, since it is in your garage, would probably be to "frame" a closet around it. That way it is "Out of sight, out of mind" to visitors unless you show it to them. Plus it would be another obstacle for someone foolish enough to try to make off with it.

To be honest, I would ask the safe seller for advice on installation. That way if they have any suggestions, you could have it ready by the time the burly guys arrive. I would also ask specifically about garage installation. If you have any truly valuable antiques, or plan to get them, you may want to take climate control into consideration. Then again, we are talking Arizona.

Congrats on your purchase! I hope it keeps your treasures well!

-Kempin
fjblackesq

Post by fjblackesq »

TUNNELRAT: ANSWER-- i LEAVE IT TO MY WIFE TO SWEEP/CLEAN UNDER MY SAFES. AND BY THE WAY, WHEN i BOUGHT MY SAFES (1,200 POUNDERS) MY SON MOVED THEM FROM TRUCK TO WHERE i WANTED THEM, all by himself in about 15 minutes. HE said he didn't want me to get hurt. It is not just brute force, but brains that count in an excersize like that!!!!
talon

Post by talon »

Hello Fellas'

Thanks for all the thoughts.. Safe arrived early Saturday morning what a heavy bitch :o . Anyway, I left it on its pallet I did build a faux frame and carpeted around the pallet. I ordered a green color but received a charcoal granite color, it's a much nicer color and texture. Getting use to the combo sequence took some practice

For humidity control I got a jug of the super premium cat litter crystals and filled up a hosiery ankle sock, hung it with Velcro out of sight.

For lighting I went to Family dollar to find those "push lights" however I came across a better solution. They were selling these 5 inch coleman lantern looking 4AA battery lights for $2.00. Highly reflective and they have a solid on/off switch so I bought a few. I removed the plastic handle and cut off the plastic "lantern Hood" , added Velcro to the bottom and stuck them in place. I recommend this if your looking for lighting and have a Family Dollar store you can check out.

Thanks again..
Talon 8-)
nimble1

Post by nimble1 »

For lighting, a small strip of rope lights works well and if left on will probably provide enough heat to keep moisture at bay. I have a smaller safe (550lbs) here in Fla that is inside the house (I live on a salt water canal) but I have no rust or mositure problems at all. The safe guy said that as long as its inside the home AC system will help keep it dry, but if kept in a garage,etc then a heating device should be used.
oldtanker

Post by oldtanker »

Just a few items of interest. If you look, you will find at least 4 small holes in the bottem of the safe. This is for bolting to floor/foundation. This is for safety, when the door is fully open there is a possibility of the safe falling forward: don't laugh, especially if you have it in the garage, sitting on the raised area which extends out from the living area and is usually done to Building Code. Also, there will be a hole at the back just big enough to fit in the end of an extension cord. Get a "Golden Rod" or similar dehumidifier from Midway or Cabella"s or just plug in a small nitelite and hang from the shelf and leave on. I am in Southern New Mexico and we have had less than .35 inch of rain since last Oct. I am not too worried about moisture problems right now. Two years ago we had plenty of rain and still no rust on any of my guns.
talon

Post by talon »

Hello Nimble1,

Thanks for the tips, here in my little part of South East AZ, humidity isn't really a great problem (but is still a probability) summer if we are lucky we will have a strong monsoon season this summer.

I never considered those coil lights. :)

Peace,
Talon 8-)
talon

Post by talon »

Just a few items of interest. If you look, you will find at least 4 small holes in the bottom of the safe. This is for bolting to floor/foundation. This is for safety, when the door is fully open there is a possibility of the safe falling forward: don't laugh, especially if you have it in the garage, sitting on the raised area which extends out from the living area and is usually done to Building Code. Also, there will be a hole at the back just big enough to fit in the end of an extension cord. Get a "Golden Rod" or similar dehumidifier from Midway or Cabella"s or just plug in a small nitelite and hang from the shelf and leave on. I am in Southern New Mexico and we have had less than .35 inch of rain since last Oct. I am not too worried about moisture problems right now. Two years ago we had plenty of rain and still no rust on any of my guns.
Hello Oldtanker,

Yes, you are very correct about an elevated safe could topple with the door in the 90' open position. This particular safe has a 1/2 in thick plate of steel sandwiched in the door. (heavy). I kept this in mind when I created a "step up" in front of it.

The only reason I didn't use the electrical access is the place where I sat it doesn't have a receptacle near it, and I have a hang up about using extension cords for long term use.

I hear you about the rain fall same here, in SE AZ... (Douglas)

BTW where in Southern NM are you at? I'm from Catron County myself.

Peace
Talon 8-)
oldtanker

Post by oldtanker »

I'm hear in Las Cruces. Geting ready to go up to the high country in Catron Cty. soon to my favorite camping spot. the off the track Pueblo Park. Now is best time to go hiking back into those old cliff dwellings. Like to go up into the pools about a mile up too, that icie cold spring water dropping from pool to pool is great on a hot day. Very seldom have anyone in the area as it's so remote. The camp is a great location for getting around the whole Gila and Blue wilderness.