Defensive Ammo

Leather to kydex, factory or custom.
kempin

Defensive Ammo

Post by kempin »

By the way, I read devlinfaust's old post that the Hornady ammo doesn't feed reliably in his p-64. I have never had a SINGLE failure to feed in mine with any hornady ammo--factory or handload. (A very big part of the reason I use it for carry.) It is interesting how individual pistols can differ.
fjblackesq

Defensive Ammo

Post by fjblackesq »

yeah, he probably needs to polish his feed ramp!!!@
mongo

Defensive Ammo

Post by mongo »

Learned from cops to alternate HP & FMJ in smaller caliber weapons.

Works for me
tunnelrat

Defensive Ammo

Post by tunnelrat »

Works for me
That only helps if you are hitting more than every other shot... ;)
mongo

Defensive Ammo

Post by mongo »

Works for me
That only helps if you are hitting more than every other shot... ;)
I am that good.

Seriously.
mongo

Defensive Ammo

Post by mongo »

Tunnelrat,

Speaking of CZ-52 ammo, have you tried any of the custom 7.62x25 ammo from Reed's Ammunition?
I carry his 110 grain softpoints in my CZ-52 for all manner of vermin.. ;)
tunnelrat

Defensive Ammo

Post by tunnelrat »

Does anyone happen to know if the corbon or golden sabre bullets are available for reloading?
Yes and No. Remington makes Golden Sabre bullets available for reloaders, but apparently not in 9x18 Makarov.

http://www.remington.com/products/ammun ... er_HPJ.asp
http://www.huntingtons.com/bullets_remington.html

Corbon doesn't make their own bullets (I don't think...) except in their proprietary .400 Corbon. Rather they appear to use the Sierra 95 gr JHP bullet for their 9x18 loads.
erich

Defensive Ammo

Post by erich »

Frankly, with something as anemic as the 9x18, I'd want the penetration of FMJ. Put them in the right place, and they work.

I've never seen a 9x18 overpenetrate in a case, so that's not a big worry for me. I think expansion is highly overrated (a big-time pathologist told me once that he could not differentiate between the wound channels left by a .38 spl, .357 magnum, 9x19, .40 S&W or .45 - whether FMJ or JHP) and I think that expanding and possibly fragmenting a lightweight, relatively slow-moving handgun round is an invitation to inadequate penetration. When I consider how many times an arm or hand gets penetrated on the way to the vitals, I think decent penetration is pretty important.
timb

Defensive Ammo

Post by timb »

I agree with erich. I am an emergency medicine physician (ER doc), and in the 14 years that I have been working, Bullet placement is the key. Use what feeds reliably, and hit the vitals.
The most impressive shooting I have seen to date occured 10 years ago. A female shot another female and her husband, during a bar fight. She used a pocket .22. 3 shots total, both individuals were DRT (dead right there) All bullets penetrated,stayed in the bodies, didn't expand but passed through vital structures, the heart and the aorta respectively, causing immediate incapacitation.(death).

Tim
p64

Defensive Ammo

Post by p64 »

I recently switched over to FMJ for my P-64 in order to acheive maximum penetration. Just my personal opinion that in this caliber I might not get adequate penetration with this round unless the shot is straight on to COM.

Geo
erich

Defensive Ammo

Post by erich »

tim, your take is noteworthy and I'm pleased to see that it backs up what I see in my work.

I'm an appellate criminal defense lawyer, and I've worked in some capacity on over 150 handgun killing cases (and a of more nonfatal shootings). I've read a lot of OMI reports and pathologist testimony, etc. Based on what I've seen, shot-placement and adequate penetration are what works. Caliber seems to matter only insofar as it affects penetration (lighter and slower bullets seem less likely to penetrate arms - which are often in the way - and body mass to get to "the good stuff" - although .22 lrs are often oddly penetrative).

Anyway, for anything lighter than a .38 spl, I always want an FMJ. (And I generally use handloaded plated wadcutters at 968 fps from my 3" barrel in my .38.)
mongo

Defensive Ammo

Post by mongo »

abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Defensive Ammo

Post by abwehr »

mongo,

Good information! I appreciate you posting this website.
marmy7451

Defensive Ammo

Post by marmy7451 »

RBCD now has their ammo available in pX18 and it feeds smoothly in my P-64. Look it over at RBCD.net

Defensive Ammo

Post by 8080 »

Hey Guys I always see LOL what does that stand for?