P-64 Pocket Holster

Leather to kydex, factory or custom.
butch50

P-64 Pocket Holster

Post by butch50 »

Update:

In order to improve this pocket holster I trimmed it down, with a sharp knife, to the inside line of brads. This got rid of the stiff edge caused by the epoxy glue I had used, and made the overall profile smaller.

That stiff edge from the epoxy did not soften with wear as I had hoped, and was like a plastic edge. The holster is much better without it.

The smaller profile allows for a better fit in different pants that have slimmer pockets.

I also roughened the outside surface of the holster with a quick pass over a wire brush wheel on my bench grinder. If you recall this was the rough side of the leather, and now it is even a bit rougher which makes the holster grab inside the pocket better, so that when the pistol is pulled out the holster doesn't try to come out with it.

With time and use the boned holster has loosened up just a tiny bit and the chuck slips out very cleanly now.

All in all, cutting it down, a roughening it up were significant improvements.
butch50

P-64 Pocket Holster

Post by butch50 »

An update:

I have been using this leather pocket holster now for closiing in on two years, and I have to say it is the best pocket holster I have ever owned. It does not soften up and break down the way the pocket holsters I bought did.

If I carried IWB, I would make my own holsters for that too - it is a fairly simple process and you can create precisely and exactly what you want. It isn't rocket science to make these, and doesn't take a lot of talent either - just some basic materials and tools and an open mind to experimenting.
Last edited by butch50 on September 30th, 2007, 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
threepdr

P-64 Pocket Holster

Post by threepdr »

Here is my solution to the pocket holster made from a mouse pad. The rubber side keeps it from pulling out of the pocket, the the fabric side is slick and releases the pistol easily. Ugly, but works

Still takes a big pocket though.

butch50

P-64 Pocket Holster

Post by butch50 »

Very Good! Mouse pad is awesome for that!

You may start a whole new trend in recycling....