P-64 Pocket Holster

Leather to kydex, factory or custom.
butch50

P-64 Pocket Holster

Post by butch50 »

I prefer to carry my P-64 in my right front pants pocket. I can carry it comfortably all day long in all kinds of pants or shorts. I can also stand casually with my hand in my pocket while actually holding the pistol in my hand, and be completely un-noticed. Try that with any other holster.

Problem is that just dropping it into the pocket it sometimes will get out of position, if the pocket is a bit large. The solution is a pocket holster that holds it up right. The next problem is that I could not find one made for the P-64.

Solution to that was to make my own. I have no experience in leather-working, but with a bit of reading, a piece of leather, a few modest tools I was easily able to make a custom fit leather pocket holder to my specifications. It works great. I recommend this approach to everyone, as it only takes a minimum of time and investment.

My total $ outlay, which includes tools and supplies that will last for a long time, was $42. My total time investment was about 4 hours, and most of that was due to inexperience. If I made another one I could do it in two hours tops and cost would be under $12.

If you have never carried in your front pocket, give it a try. It works great, and works with all of your clothes, and is completely invisible and the pistol is far handier and ready for action than any other mode.

While making this holster I got the idea to apply leather to the grips. I want to buy another set of grips and form fit leather to them, then epoxy glue the leather onto the grips. I have a hunch that it would make the pistol quite a bit more comfortable to shoot and provide a better grip as well.
Last edited by butch50 on January 1st, 2006, 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cruiser

P-64 Pocket Holster

Post by cruiser »

I made a pocket holster for a P-32 I had. I used contact cement and "boston rivets" (threaded rivets). I got my leather from a good quality womens purse! Check your wife's discards or the local Goodwill or consignment store for quality leather purse.
Last edited by cruiser on January 1st, 2006, 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bartos061

P-64 Pocket Holster

Post by bartos061 »

Hi, please make some photo if You can. Thanks
bartos
butch50

P-64 Pocket Holster

Post by butch50 »

I will try to borrow a camera and get a photo. What is the parachute emblem?
bartos061

P-64 Pocket Holster

Post by bartos061 »

It is an emblem of my unit( 6th air assault battalion ).

http://www.6bdsz.internetdsl.pl/ Unfortunately only in polish

bartos
butch50

P-64 Pocket Holster

Post by butch50 »

Very cool! I did some sport sky diving in my Army days, but that was back when the dinosaurs roamed. Our parachutes were military chutes with two slits cut in the front for some minimal steering capability. TU parachutes if I recall correctly.

How are the gun laws in Poland? Are they restrictive or liberal towards owning personal firearms?
bartos061

P-64 Pocket Holster

Post by bartos061 »

Hi butch50, You must to know that "guns law" is in Poland very very very very restricted. :'( Without special license we can only have: air guns(which energy not higher than 17J), black powder weapons(but only made before 1850, also replicas of it). But this "goods" we can buy from about two years. Earlier we must have license even for air guns. There are two main variation of weapon license: Weapon for defense and for sport(for sport not for fun!). Those license are made by police. It is very hard to get them. You must pass really difficult exam. Make health and psycho tests. And pay for it a lot of many. 90% of people doesn't get a license(of course money are not return). If You want license for weapon for defense You must proof that You need it more than other citizens. If You want a license for sport You must have an sport shooter license first. That means that You must be sport shooter for two years in sport club(going for competitions etc. So it is a big problem to get weapon it is sick but We can do nothing with it. I'm military so I'm lucky because it is easier(easier not easy). I have heard that even some cops have a problem with getting license.

bartos
herrmannek

P-64 Pocket Holster

Post by herrmannek »

Haha.. I'm a victim of the strict gun laws :) ... As a poor student I haven't even tried to get gun permit because procedure of geting it costs like 500$ alone(multiply by four to acomodate differences in mean pay USA vs. Poland ) and even you fulfill all conditions(mentaly healthy, no criminal record, good opinion...) huge chances are you will not get the permit because of totally arbitrary decision at the end without any explanation or reasoning for that turn of thing.. In 99% of instances people just get simple NO and noone will give your money back... Only soldiers, cops get the permit more or less automaticaly.... For whole rest(except those with conectios) its a rullete not worth the risk... I'm thinking about getting a cap&ball revolver around 300$ here and no permits, but there are problems with buing blackpowder(nooone in Poland sells it because of fear of loosing a "FFL" license), and such gun have only recreational value after all... In other words waiting for beter times or chance to move to more gun friendly country if you know what I mean :)
butch50

P-64 Pocket Holster

Post by butch50 »

You guys make me feel bad for having so much. Come on over here, we need more good people!
mikethewreck

P-64 Pocket Holster

Post by mikethewreck »

If you come by our house I will feed you pierogi and kielbasa!

I just got done slamming Uncle Mike holsters on another thread but their small pocket holster does mask the outline some. Worn with my wallet on the outside in that pants pocket held the holster in place. (Not a big gripping strip on the holster.) I'd rather have a homemade pocket holster but this will do me for now.
butch50

P-64 Pocket Holster

Post by butch50 »

I still haven't borrowed a camera. Probably won't show much anyway as it is small and black. But, just for grins, here is how I made it.

I bought a piece of leather about 3/16" thick and about 12" x 12" that is smooth on one side and rough on the other. A leather punch, small and medium size rivets, and a rivet driver (looks like a blunt punch). I already had epoxy glue.

I cut the leather patch in half and soaked one half of it in water for a couple of hours, then put the wet leather in a ziploc bag overnight. Next day I took my P-64 and unloaded it, checked it again, then wrapped it in saran wrap.

I laid the pistol on a flat board, and laid the wet leather over the top of it. Using a staple gun I stapled the leather down to the board along the top of the slide and at the end of the barrel. Using a popsicle stick, and a sharpie pen top, I worked the wet leather by rubbing and pushing at it until it conformed to the pistol, stapling it as I went until I had the wet leather stretched and formed over the pistol and stapled to the board. I did this with the smooth side touching the gun and the rough side up.

I let it dry overnight with a fan blowing on it. The leather formed to the pistol and stiffened up nicely. I had set the pistol so that the formed side would be against my leg when in my pocket. I removed the staples, removed the pistol. I then took the other piece of leather and laid it smooth side up, took the formed piece and laid it on the leather and then put the pistol between them. Using the punch I punched holes as close to the pistol through both pieces of leather, leaving a large margin outside the holes. Then I riveted the leather together using the small rivets.

Next I put on a pair of pants that have a smallish front pocket and using stout scissors I trimmed the extra margin around the pistol until it fit in my pocket nicely. I trimmed the bottom of the holster right to the end of the barrel, to keep it as short as possible.

I trimmed the top of the holster until it covered the triggger guard, but not much higher. That way the trigger is protected (extra margin of safety) but the safey can be manipulated while the pistol is in my pocket and the pistol grip is exposed.

Then I punched holes through the outside edge of the extra margin, spread epoxy inside between the two pieces of leather in that margin, and using the small rivets I riveted the outside. Now there are two rows of rivets, one close to the pistol and one along the outside of the margin, with epoxy glue inside the margin to stiffen it. I also rubbed epoxy into the cut edges of the leather to seal them.

I cut a strip of leather about 3/4" wide that was fit to the bottom of the holster, transversely. This piece goes from the outside margin to the outside margin across the flat side of the holster, and stiffens the bottom of the holster to keep it from curling. I punched two holes at each end of it, which means I punched holes through three thicknesses of leather at it's ends. I spread epoxy under it, and then using the large rivets I riveted it down. For extra strength I also punched a rivet through the center of that strip, that is under the "tent" made by the formed leather at the barrel end, and used a small rivet to fasten it.

Because I accidentally got some of the epoxy on the outside of the holster, which made dark spots, I spray painted the whole thing black. After the epoxy had set up.

My description is a bit clumsy, but I think you can cypher it out, if not ask and I will answer.

Simple, effective, custom fit, inexpensive, and kind of fun to do.
Last edited by butch50 on January 3rd, 2006, 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jw

P-64 Pocket Holster

Post by jw »

Bartos,

I just spent some time looking at your unit's website. Lots of great photos!

Are you the Tomasz Bartos that is listed as the Szef Logistyki?

jw
bartos061

P-64 Pocket Holster

Post by bartos061 »

Hi jw. NO ;D I'm not an logistic, ;D I'm an coy commander only ;)
pezzonovante

P-64 Pocket Holster

Post by pezzonovante »

You guys make me feel bad for having so much. Come on over here, we need more good people!
Well, thanks for the invitation, but first tell the G-People in DC you need those good people!
Getting a gun license in Poland is tough indeed, but then you can compare it with getting a US visa - because we still have to get one, unlike the Americans, who cam roam all over Poland with no paper work at all. It takes a personal visit to the Consulate - easy when you live in Warsaw, Poznan, Gdansk or Cracow, but most people have to go there, sometimes hundreds of kilometers. Several years ago there were long ques, sometimes for several hundred people, staying on the street, waiting hours and days for audition. For two years or so, the queues dissapeared as a mandatory e-mail or telephone confirmation of date is required - in a country where say 80% of population do not have access to the e-mail. Then, if you're lucky enough to get a date set sometime before your 100th birthday, you go there and try to convince a stiff Foggy Bottom type that you do not want to stay in US for ever ;), that you have family here, good work position, show your bank account standing no earlier than two weeks before the meeting etc. - he might even consent, but that's his arbitrary decision, just like the gun license. Of course, just to get in front of this guy you had to advance-pay $180 equivalent in Polish currency, with no way to get it back, if the Very Important Personality turns you down. I was lucky enough to get through the sift at the first occasion - even without having to see Mr. Big Shot, but then I applied for a Journalist Special Treatment Visa, which is given more or less automathically - and not every one has the luck to fit the VERY narrow slit (permament job on the staff of a magazine/paper/broadcaster - but forget it if you work for the Internet paper or as a free-lancer), letter of support on employer's letterhead signed in hand, not a facsimile stamp, and not a copy of such letter etc.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not bitter, and I'm not anti-American, no way. I've gone to the Y2K Shot Show in Vegas, and that was really the time of my life, especially when after the show I took a ride through AZ on the way back, calling on my pen-friends and shooting some 30 types of machineguns (ranging from burp-guns to .50 MaDeuce) within two of three days, getting the benefit of the wonderful hospitality from my hosts. But I must admit that we, here in Poland, have hoped for being able to gain more or less free access to the Land of the Free, and we still don't have it, 15 years after overthrowing the Commies, 8 years after joining the NATO, 2 years after joining the European Union and being the only sizeable allied force in Iraq except for the Brits. What else America wants from us just to get on the par with your own citizens, going here and fro without the fear of getting kicked back from the first airport in US after selling your kidney to pay for the ticket?
We would love to get there and take you at your word, but I think it is much more important to stop dissipating out efforts on querelling over visa or not visa, Iraq or no Iraq, and instead start to chip away on that solid rock blocking the access to guns in Poland.
Polish users of the forum: The new government SAYS it is supporting the right to defend - let's take it by the word and let's try to make it work. MAYBE we can bring about changes to the better - that may as well be only words, as usual, but if we do not try, just sit and sob quietly in a corner, nobody would do anything for us, nobody would give us anything that we do not fight for. Let's do it, and let's do it now.
butch50

P-64 Pocket Holster

Post by butch50 »

The world is a crazy place indeed. Our government makes it near impossible to immigrate here legally, yet we have well over 1 million illegal immigrants crossing our southern border every year. That 1 million, in my opinion, is way low.

Yet our government only makes a token attempt at stopping these illegal immigrants, and doesn't make even a token attempt at catching and returning them once they are here.

I can drive to local intersections right now that have literally hundreds of illegals standing around waiting for day labor jobs, and if I can find them certainly our government with all their powers and resources totally ignore them.

These illegals are ruining our economy, and sending billions of US currency out of the country (out of our economy) and we do zilch. Makes me ill when fine people like you can't get here, and these criminals roam freely.

Its a crazy world indeed.