Shoulder holster

Leather to kydex, factory or custom.
butch50

Shoulder holster

Post by butch50 »

When seated my pocket carry is comfortable. In fact I am seated right now and I can't even tell I have it in my pocket. It has become so much of a habit that I am never particularly aware I have it with me.

Texas summers are a tad warm, and that is the main reason I started carrying in my pocket - works great with shorts and I can wear a tank top tucked or untucked - doesn't matter.

Seated however makes it awkward to get to. While in the car I just take it out and lay it on the seat next to me, covered with a hat or some other similar innocuous object. Which is legal in Texas if you have a CHL.

While being seated is awkward, in most situations where it might become advisable to have the CZAK ready to hand, I can simply stand up. That should cover most "intense" situations.

I tried the pager pal - for me it requires two hands to operate and doesn't look casual - especially having a pager or cell phone hagning off my belt all the time - which I do not like to do.

Mike: Could you learn to live with your wallet in your left pocket? I often carry my wallet and keys in my left pocket.

One caveat - pocket carry isn't worth a damn with a kilt. Don't ask how I know.....but I swear with a kilt you gotta have a tuckable IWB.
Last edited by butch50 on February 5th, 2006, 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikethewreck

Shoulder holster

Post by mikethewreck »

My only problem is my left pocket is barely big enough my key chain!

Between my Dillon Maverick IWB and Hume belt slide and fanny pack and smart carry I'm pretty much covered.

I do have a Michaels pocket holster too.
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Shoulder holster

Post by himmel »

Well, consider me "semi converted"--I sometimes wear some Army-surplus BDU pants I picked up to play paintball in--Pocket carry works great in them, even with my Mak--I keep my hands in my pockets too, so the pistol doesn't get "lost" in the pocket

Carry methods are a bit like religion - we all think we have figured out the best way - and we are all correct for ourselves....

...Having said that though, let me get up on my soap box and try to covert you heathens....

I swear by front pocket carry - which is one of the MAJOR reasons I love my CZAK.

I have on any number of occasions been standing in line at a checkout and found myself standing there with my hand in my pocket, actually holding the pistol. With a simple flick of the thumb the safety would be off and I could bring it out of my pocket and fire it in less than a second. I guarantee it. I have practiced it without ammo.

Imagine you are in a 7-11 and a weirdo comes in, you want to be ready right? Just in case? With the CZAK in my front pocket and my casual standing there routine I can be extremely ready, very very ready. No way you can be that ready with any other carry method.

What other kind of carry approaches that? Only thing remotely close would be an exposed holster with your hand on the gun. Which would be a bit obvious.

Plus, pocket carry doesn't require any holster at all - I use a pocket holster that I made, but it is not strictly necessary, and in some of my pants that have tighter pockets I don't use it.

No one pays any attention to me standing there with my hand in my pocket. No one, ever.

The reason I find myself doing that, is because I generally stand with my hand in my pocket when I am not moving around - habit really.

I have one of the smart carry's - ever try to get to your gun out of one of those? Clumsy, no matter what the ads say, it is slow and clumsy (by comparison with front pocket). Same with IWB holsters - slow and clumsy.

A shoulder holster under a jacket would be next best to pocket, but there is no way you can stand with your hand under your jacket and not get noticed.

Try the front pocket carry - it is the simplest and most elegant solution.
duhawki647

Shoulder holster

Post by duhawki647 »

I use a Bianchi shoulder rig that was designed for PPK.
Duhawki
autom8r

Shoulder holster

Post by autom8r »

Not that this has much to do with white shoulder holsters or P-64s, but I carry a 10.8 ounce, loaded, Kel-Tec P3-AT (.380) in a DeSantis pocket holster in my hip pocket. Plain ole pocket carry has a tendendy to wear a hole in my pockets after a while due to the bare metal edges. A 32 ounce P-64 is a bit much in my pocket for every day carry, even though it is less than 1/100th of my body weight. I would much prefer the weight distribution of a shoulder holster for a 2 pound gun.

Fat, spoiled, old and comfortable Dave
tunnelrat

Shoulder holster

Post by tunnelrat »

Does anyone have a source suggestion for a shoulder rig that I can wear under my buttondown dress shirt and over my t-shirt? Even more of a challenge... I need a white one so the holster doesn't show through my white shirts.
Try this one:http://www.gunblast.com/Kangaroo.htm.

I am planning to order one to use this summer. I'll let you know how it works for me, but the reports I've heard so far have been very positive.
diemanbob

Shoulder holster

Post by diemanbob »

Hi,

My Grandson sent me an all leather shoulder from Iraq. Fits real nice on P-64 and very comfortable. Made by the locals there. I was sitting bare topped with it on at the computer when wife walked in on me. She said I looked like Indiana Jones, what are you trying to prove? Seemed logical to me, I was just trying to get used to it. Feels OK but I don't like the idea of barrel pointing out to the rear. Don't wear much.

Bob
goldsmith

Shoulder holster

Post by goldsmith »

I've been using a Bianchi horizontal shoulder holster; holster only, without mag. pouch, strap opposite which snaps around belt. I believe this is their "shadow" model, all black, simulated leather (squeaks just a bit). Under a loose fitting dress shirt this is pretty hard to spot, and accesses quickly through an open button (the open button will be less obvious as I deflate my "spare tire"). This also works well under a loose sweater or sweat shirt, and is quite comfortable for me. I also agree with the speed of pocket carry, but my pants pockets are a bit small for the P-64. I've tried the "belly bands".........very concealable, but not very comfortable for me. As others have said, this is a very personal choice; I think we all have an "old holster" box (closet?). I'd think the important issues are concealability, ease of access, and comfort (if comfort were the only issue, we might not be doing this...). In most jurisdictions "concealed carry" means just that, in fact, in some, it is required under the carry permit laws. You might try your choice with a variety of garments, body positions, etc. to make sure it doesn't "print". Except for the expense, the search should be fun, good luck.
tunnelrat

Shoulder holster

Post by tunnelrat »

I have on any number of occasions been standing in line at a checkout and found myself standing there with my hand in my pocket, actually holding the pistol. With a simple flick of the thumb the safety would be off and I could bring it out of my pocket and fire it in less than a second.
Yup, you really don't want to try that with the Smart Carry -- it attracts all the wrong kind of attention... :)
goldsmith

Shoulder holster

Post by goldsmith »

I think I may have replied earlier to the shoulder holster question, and mispoke regarding the model of holster I've been using. I've tried the Bianci "tuxedo" rig, holster only without mag. pouch. This seems to work well under a slightly oversized shirt. This is black, synthetic, I don't know, but wonder if Rit fabric die could be used to lighten the color????

Any way, I just wanted to compliment everyone for such an informative, easy going site. I've seen more good info. on these pistols here in a short time than in a previous 2 year search. Now let's all go to work getting conservatives re-elected next time (and if the Republicans win again, let's hope someone reminds them.."Hey, y'all really won...act like it!"). Sorry for the short rant, but Nancy Pelozi, et al raise my blood pressure to the danger level.....

Take care,

P.S. I just re-read this, and realized that political statements might not be appropriate, even on a firearms site. If such is the case, or if any were offended, my apologies.
Last edited by goldsmith on November 20th, 2006, 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.