How do you carry?

Leather to kydex, factory or custom.
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

How do you carry?

Post by himmel »

Actually, I'm looking at a .25 now myself--a Galesi, with a partial box of ammo, for $130--it's just too cute to let go! LOL! But I'm just looking, right now
butch50

How do you carry?

Post by butch50 »

I notice that us pocket carry folks are catching up with you IWB folks.

I have an Iver Johnson .25 cal that I love. It is reliable. It is a belly gun, intended to be used up close and very personal. I have heard a lot about its lack of penetration, so I fired a few rounds into dry telephone books - one of the toughest things to penetrate I had that was handy. The solid little bullets went into the book about two inches or so.

Not scientific, but it tells me that up close it will do the job well enough that I am confident in carrying it around - or I was until I got my CZAK which is what I carry 99% of the time now. My IJ 25 is small, reliable, handy and I believe deadly. Pretty good combination for carrying.
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

How do you carry?

Post by himmel »

I heard that a WET telephone book is a pretty good approximation of ballistic gelatin, which is a pretty good approximation of animal flesh...I keep meaning to try it... how old is that IJ anyway??? BTW my son modified the CZAK last night for me, to make it a bit better for pocket carry--the mag floor plate had a big chip knocked out of the front anyway, so at my request he ground/sanded the front extension way down--We couldn't get it polished back shiny like it was, but other than that, it looks OK and i think is more practical...
butch50

How do you carry?

Post by butch50 »

Himmel: I have thought about grinding down that lip, but haven't done it yet. I might now though - How do you like it?

I picked up the TP 25 at a gun show for about $100 - it has proven itself reliable. I think it may have been a pretty direct copy of the beretta - it is an erma werke marked model. IJ also made a .22 version that is far more common the TP 22 - they look identical.

I really like mine, wouldn't mind having another.
Last edited by butch50 on March 14th, 2006, 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

How do you carry?

Post by himmel »

What kind of ammo do you carry in the.25? The gunshop here has some reallly old stuff way back behind the counter, supposed to have an expanding nose or something...there is also some solid copper hollowpoints in .32 acp, and my younger son has one example in .25 of the same thing in his little cartridge collection... I like the ground-off mag floor, it supports my pinky just fine and doesn't hook on my pocket now--but if i had it to do over again, i would have done it more carefully to preserve the looks a little better. I thought about having Christian make me a wooden one, but the ground-down original one looks OK and works fine.
butch50

How do you carry?

Post by butch50 »

I don't recall the brand right now, I shot several and they all worked fine - but I do use a fmj type of bullet - no hollow points or the old ball in a hollow point - I think for this low velocity type of round that simpler is better. My idea of using it, if forced to, would be to empty the magazine into one fist sized area from very close. For that kind of shooting a hollow point just isn't necessary and using fmj eliminates potential problems with over expansion etc.
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

How do you carry?

Post by himmel »

Yes, I heard somewhere on the board here that anything less than a 9mm or .38 special can't be relied on to expand properly anyway--if that's the case you are just giving up weight in the projectile for no good reason...
tunnelrat

How do you carry?

Post by tunnelrat »

To me, and this is only my opinion, the perfect round is the .44 Special. This round packs a decent punch in close up shooting, and will HURT someone. But most of the .44 Special pistols are on the large side except the Charter Arms Bulldog pistol. I have a Rossi stainless steel, 5" barrel by my bedside, and it is loaded with hot loads. I practice with standard pressure lead bullets. Don't laugh about me having the Rossi, I know they don't have the reputation of a Smith, but this pistol has the best trigger pull I have ever used. I would attest to the fact that it had been tuned if I did not know better.

What are you guys opinions on the .44 Special for protection. The only problem is most of the pistols are a little heavy for carry purposes.
I have a 3" Rossi Model 720, 5-shot, .44 Special, Stainless Steel revolver. It is one of my favorite firearms.

I like it better than my 4" S&W Model 29, .44 Magnum. The Smith has a pinned barrel, recessed and numbered cylinders, and a very good trigger. However, the Rossi Cheapo 720 has a better trigger (I traded the Smith for something else).

I like my Rossi .44 better than my Dan Wesson .357 magnum revolver with changeable barrels. The DW trigger is like glass, no stacking at all, but the Rossi trigger is better (I traded away the Dan Wesson, too).

A .44 Special is just about the perfect home defense pistol. It has roughly twice the muzzle energy of a .38 Special (same velocity of about 800 fps, but a 240 grain .44 bullet instead of 125 grain .38 bullet). The external ballistics of the .44 Special are very close to that of a .45acp.

Because it is not a magnum, it doesn't blow out your eardrums if you set it off indoors. Nor does the muzzle flash of the .44 Special blind your eyes as may the muzzle flash of virtually any magnum.

I carry my P-64 Mexican style, inside the waistband, behind my hip, when I go out the door, but the .44 Special is what I use to repel boarders when I am at home.
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

How do you carry?

Post by abwehr »

tunnelrat,

I have a Taurus .44 Special in SS for my home protection pistol too. I do like the .44 for the power it packs and ease of use.

Christmas 2 or 3 years ago, I gave my son a Rossi .44 Special in SS with a 4" barrel. He wanted a pistol for home defence and this seemed to fill the bill exactly. This Rossi has the best trigger pull in SA or DA I have ever felt. It almost feels like it has been worked on, but is factory. We think alike about home defence!
portablevcb

How do you carry?

Post by portablevcb »

Different guns for different places.

Bedside: Mine .45 auto, Wife-Python (.357 Mag)
Car: Mine-S&W 469 (compact 9mm 12rd mag), Wife-Taurus 85 (5shot .38)
Carry: Mine-P64, Wife-Taurus 85

I absolutely love my .45. Probably because I have shot it since I was a teenager (35 years!). About the only thing that is original on it is the frame.

I like the P64, just don't really like to shoot it at the range, cause it hurts :) I do keep current with it, but, only because I carry it.

Each of the guns (except the P64) is loaded with HP and Glazer alternating. 38 is lead 158gn SWC HP +P, .357 is 125 SJHP, .45 is Golden Saber 185gn JHP, 9mm is GS 115gn JHP. The only JHP for the Mak I could find was the Hornady load.

The Python hooked me on revolvers :) The Taurus followed a previous 605 that I owned. Great trigger pull right out of the box. Gave it to my neice for her CCW (she's 22!). The 85 is a perfect fit for my wife's small hands. Got the 469 as a carry gun. It is OK, but, not great. Got the P64 specifically as a carry gun and it works for me (except for those grips).

Revolvers are the best bet for home defense gun as everyone know how to handle one, point and pull the trigger. :)

Big bullets or fragmenting fast bullets are the way to go IMHO :)

charlie
(newbie)

PS thanks for this forum. Relatively new P64 owner.
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

How do you carry?

Post by himmel »

Hey, tunnelrat, glad to see another another "Mexican carry" fan! But I am finding the CZAK is good for pocket carry too, with the right pants! LOL! and welcome, new member! Check the threads, you'll find lots of options for changing out the grips hereabouts...BTW, I carry Mag safes in my usual carry gun (Zastava Mod 70) myself...
jak47

How do you carry?

Post by jak47 »

Getting (2) P-64s tomorrow and broke out my Thunderwear. Will also experiment with some IWB, pocket holsters and maybe even a PagerPal. Will post range report. Also, last week I picked up a Russian Mak to keep my Baikal .380 company. Will post a range report on that as well.
jAK-47
kempin

How do you carry?

Post by kempin »

Sorry I joined the discussion late here, but when I picked up my p-64 at the shop about a year ago, I found a Don Hume leather IWB holster (H715 M No. 13) for about twenty bucks. It fits the p-64 like it was made for it, and makes a very compact, comfortable package.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

How do you carry?

Post by gunneyrabbit »

I carry in the pocket with my Kel-Tec P32 or I hand carry in the Kel-Tec zippered pouch that came with the pistol. Leather gun pack/fanny pack for my compact and full sized pistole's.
steelblade

How do you carry?

Post by steelblade »

I carried a Ruger p-95 for a few years with a clip draw (Damn useful thing, that clipdraw) inside the waistband just behind my hipbone on my right. I jsut tuck in my shirt over it and it disappears even in summer. When I wore sweats (No waist band to speak of) I used a homemade take off of thundewear, which is also the only thing I ever had to quick draw from (Nothing too dramatic, had a mobile out in the boonies with some dogs that wanted to argue the ownership of my land.) The thunderwear has a quicker draw, bout like a pager pal, I imagine. The hip draw would need to have the shirt pulled up, but I never had need of actually putting the practice to use.

I carry the p-64 now in it's place since I fell prey to FBS (That's Fat Boy Syndrome for you bony types. :) ) and the room in my waistband started getting short.