Another reloading noob

Discussion on reloading the 9x18 and any other cartridge
Cyndicalist

Another reloading noob

Post by Cyndicalist »

Just starting to reload 9x18 and .223 and 8mm.

I'm skimming the old posts.

What's folks thoughts about what primers, powder and bullets to use?

I ordered some speer and Berrys FMJ bullets. But I think I want to cast my own eventually. Anyone try the cast ones you can buy in bulk?

And what about crimping? I have the Lee three die set with the third setting and crimping- do I need another crimp die to get the best crimp?

Any other thoughts appreciated.

Thanks.
"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary." - Karl Marx
GuitarmanNick

Re: Another reloading noob

Post by GuitarmanNick »

I have had good luck using Berry's 95 grain FMJs and the Lee three die set. You set the seating die to crimp and seat in one operation, if desired. I use a light taper crimp. My handloads feed perfectly in my P-64s, cycle the guns properly and are consistently more accurate than my shooting abilities.
Cyndicalist

Post by Cyndicalist »

GuitarmanNick wrote: May 12th, 2019, 6:18 pm I have had good luck using Berry's 95 grain FMJs and the Lee three die set. You set the seating die to crimp and seat in one operation, if desired. I use a light taper crimp. My handloads feed perfectly in my P-64s, cycle the guns properly and are consistently more accurate than my shooting abilities.
Thanks! That's good to know. I need to experiment a little so I can figure out how to do that.

What primers/powder do you prefer?
"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary." - Karl Marx
GuitarmanNick

Post by GuitarmanNick »

I use CCI small pistol primers and 4.0 grains of Unique pistol powder with an OAL of .970". This is using the Berry's 95 grain FMJ bullets.

If you use a different bullet, you may need a different charge and/or OAL.