sm mag pistol primers

Discussion on reloading the 9x18 and any other cartridge
trustingman62

sm mag pistol primers

Post by trustingman62 »

I am having a hard time finding standard small pistol primer reloading my 9x18. I have small pistol magnum primers. Is it safe to use them in reloading 9x18?
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Re: sm mag pistol primers

Post by papabear »

trustingman62,

Disclaimer: As a safety factor my answer is you should always use the recommended load data suggested by the reload data including primers.........

However, having said that, I don't reload 9x18 because I have a ton of it bought back in '06 but I do save the brass cases for future reloading along with 9mm brass to trim for 9x18. The only small pistol ammo I have reloaded is .38spl and I loaded it with Win SPM primers without any problems, however, my powder loads are mild to medium mild. I believe when using SPM primers a 10 % reduction in powder is recommended and then work up to loads that you trust. Also, I don't see where the primer type would make a difference either with breech face erosion as some believe as long as the primer pockets remain tight after shooting. I do have CCI and Federal small pistol SP primers but rarely use them, the Federal SP primers don't seem to fit all range brass I use for plinking, they seem to large in some of the brass but not others so I use Win SPM or CCI SP primers in my small pistol reloads and they do OK but I prefer the Win SPM primers and with no issues at all. All my 45LC, 45ACP and 44SPL reloads are with Win standard/mag primers, again I load them mild to medium mild keeping them below or at 1000fps as I do for all my lead cast bullets. In my experience a magnum primer is good for slower powders such as 2400 which I really like to insure complete ignition and it is also seems to work much better in cold weather when ignition would be retarded due to temperature.

Papa
trustingman62

Re: sm mag pistol primers

Post by trustingman62 »

Thank you papa. I feel fine about using them. This will be my first reloading the 9x18 and I have always used the 10% rule on my other calibers. Ty