Any Makarov bullet casters?

Discussion on reloading the 9x18 and any other cartridge
jpjames

Any Makarov bullet casters?

Post by jpjames »

I'm about to get started on casting my own bullets. Any tips/suggestions?
Dwight

Re: Any Makarov bullet casters?

Post by Dwight »

I'm interested in learning about this as well. I had priced out what it would cost to get started casting, and then what lead and antimony would cost going forward -- turns out it was cheaper to just buy bullets from Missouri Bullet Company. But, when viewed as a hobby or a self-reliance measure, I guess cost per bullet isn't the only consideration!

Dwight
jpjames

Post by jpjames »

I've got a local tire shop that is willing to keep a supply of used wheel weights for me...
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

LUCKY!!!
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
jpjames

Post by jpjames »

I guess it's something that I'm going to learn...
Dwight

Post by Dwight »

You are VERY lucky! I spoke with a couple of the tire places near me, and they told me that lead weights are becoming scarce (most of what they deal with now are steel).

Dwight
RobsTV

Post by RobsTV »

I started casting a couple months ago, and now the only round I don't yet make is the .365 for the P-64.

Worked out a deal with a guy that supplies me with free WW, and wife brings home some Lead/Antimony alloy, so only expense is a little mono I bought and some tin from solder. Ends up costing $0.005 per 400 grain, or about eight 9x18 100grain bullets for a penny.

The biggest advantage is not cost. It is accuracy. When you can adjust the size to match the barrel, and adjust the bullet hardness that works for your specific gun and shooting pattern, and finish it off with custom lube that best suits your specific guns needs, you are doing 3 things that can not be done with commercial cast bullets, and forget about comparing to jacketed. I have fought with various powders and loads, searching for accuracy in all my guns, but as soon as I shot my first cast bullet, all that changed. Instant 3 to 5 times more accurate with the first batch. This trend continues with all 7 calibers I now cast for. The main thing is bullet size and hardness.

Looks like time to start on .365's.
For those that cast these with a Lee mold, are you having any issues in a P-64 with using them at the size they drop, since I don't think a cheap sizer is available?

Photos taken with old cell phone on the spur of the moment.
Top photo is second magazine of 9mm that I ever shot in the Hi-Point C9, and first using my home cast 120gr bullets. The green ring is 4" diameter. Distance is 15 yards.

Second photo is first mag of normal name brand commercial 9mm Jacketed bullets in same gun at same distance. First time shooting the 9mm Hi-Point. Target is 16"x10". Jacketed bullets suck (or cast is great, take your pick).
Attachments
First casts
First casts
Commercial plated
Commercial plated
RobsTV

Post by RobsTV »

RobsTV wrote:
For those that cast these with a Lee mold, are you having any issues in a P-64 with using them at the size they drop, since I don't think a cheap sizer is available?
Now that I have the mold, I can answer my own question.

Yes, issues as dropped.
Slugged bore and it is exactly .365.
The Lee is dropping them at .368-.370.

The Lee expander die is shaving a little lead off, and is cranked all the way down to shell holder to try to expand/flare mouth enough to handle these .368-.370 cast bullets.

None will chamber as cast.

Now to get either a custom made Lee sizer or one from???
Thinking .366 sizer would be correct.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

RobsTV, that sucks that it's casting them too large. Lee does offer a service to make a custom sized Lube & Sizing Kit. It costs $32 which doesn't seem horrible.

Here is the link to it - http://leeprecision.com/custom-lube-and-sizing-kit.html

I haven't got the Lee Mak bullet mold yet, but I plan to. Looks like I may be needing to invest in a custom sizer when I get around to it.
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
leadhead2

Post by leadhead2 »

I cast for the mak and use the lee mold. I don't remember
what they drop at but I have a lyman .366 sizing die that
I've had for years. Don't remember where I got it but sized
at .366, they perform very well. I also make my own brass
from 9mm luger brass. Trim, resize in mak die and load.
Don't know if lyman still make the .366 or not.
Denny
daveinsvaz

Post by daveinsvaz »

I bought the round nose Makarov bullet mold from Lee, modified a bullet sizer so it slightly flattened the nose. Now I have something in profile that resembles the original 45 Long Colt bullet. Feeds very well and the effect on a totally unscientific soda bottle full of water is a vast step up over the original round nose...
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
Lagamor

Post by Lagamor »

I've been casting for a month with a new MP mold. Supposed to throw 95 grain hollow points, but my alloy is does 98 grains.
I'll post some pictures tomorrow. A nice mold makes the caster look good.
Poppy42

Post by Poppy42 »

RobsTV wrote:I started casting a couple months ago, and now the only round I don't yet make is the .365 for the P-64.

Worked out a deal with a guy that supplies me with free WW, and wife brings home some Lead/Antimony alloy, so only expense is a little mono I bought and some tin from solder. Ends up costing $0.005 per 400 grain, or about eight 9x18 100grain bullets for a penny.

The biggest advantage is not cost. It is accuracy. When you can adjust the size to match the barrel, and adjust the bullet hardness that works for your specific gun and shooting pattern, and finish it off with custom lube that best suits your specific guns needs, you are doing 3 things that can not be done with commercial cast bullets, and forget about comparing to jacketed. I have fought with various powders and loads, searching for accuracy in all my guns, but as soon as I shot my first cast bullet, all that changed. Instant 3 to 5 times more accurate with the first batch. This trend continues with all 7 calibers I now cast for. The main thing is bullet size and hardness.

Photos taken with old cell phone on the spur of the moment.
Top photo is second magazine of 9mm that I ever shot in the Hi-Point C9, and first using my home cast 120gr bullets. The green ring is 4" diameter. Distance is 15 yards.

Second photo is first mag of normal name brand commercial 9mm Jacketed bullets in same gun at same distance. First time shooting the 9mm Hi-Point. Target is 16"x10". Jacketed bullets suck (or cast is great, take your pick).
For about $30 give or take a couple Lee will custom make any size sizeing die you want.
Long, wide, deep, and without hesitation