Elite member

My 9x18mm load.

Post by juniustaylor »

I loaded up 150 rounds of 9x18mm.
9mm Luger cases cut down to 0.709"
4.5 grains Power Pistol
93 grain MO Bullet Co LRN
COL= 0.975"

Accuracy wise, first 3 shots were about 3" high, and 2" left (as usual), however, the 3 shots were within 1" of each other (this was at 25 yards. Used a sandbag rest. After that they opened up a bit but I was still keeping them mostly in around 6-7" diameter. Had a couple oddballs but they must have been me. I noticed if I had a light grip where my pinky finger was, the pistol would buck against the web between my thumb and index finger. Rather unpleasant. This did affect my accuracy as I think I was anticipated recoil and dropping the muzzle to account for the kick-up. When I put a firm grip on the pistol and really wrapped my pinky around that part of the magazine base, it was more controlled and I hit in the target better.

I only had one case split at the mouth. Seemed odd but hard to say. These loads did feel relatively stout but they are under the max load, for jacketed bullets anyway. Not sure how that affects cast bullets. Didn't notice much streaking in the bore. If any, it must be very minor. When I scrub the bore I will note the amount of lead. I should probably back the load down some, but I think they did well.
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Re: My 9x18mm load.

Post by juniustaylor »

Here is the proof. I was wrong, it was 2" high and 2" left at 25 yards. I have since whacked the rear sight a tad right so the pistol will quit shooting left. :) That is 3 shots in the area of a square inch.

juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Re: My 9x18mm load.

Post by juniustaylor »

Last thing to note was barrel cleanup after shooting the MO Bullet LRN bullets (50 rounds). It was very easy to clean. I used Rem-Oil, 3 patches, and about 20 passes with a .45ACP bronze brush. The amount of lead particles that came out was extremely low and I almost did not even see them, just a speck or two here or there on the patch. I am pleased.

These rounds were fired in my 1972 P-64 with a 17# mainspring, 22# recoil spring, and a bobbed hammer (because I like it).