Difficulties loading Berry's Plated bullets

Discussion on reloading the 9x18 and any other cartridge
Dwight

Re: Difficulties loading Berry's Plated bullets

Post by Dwight »

Very odd indeed. I suspect a problem with the dies.

Please, do let us know how this works out.

Dwight
RobsTV

Post by RobsTV »

Replacement dies arrived and installed.

The Expander die plug is a little different looking, but both measure exactly the same.

Same results...

After swapping all dies, setup the same way, same occasional cocking of bullet, and same mark left on case during seating/crimping..

Next, installed original dies in another 4-hole turret plate that I use for separate decapping as well as sizing 32acp, neither of which is critical. That solved the mark left on case issue during seating. Apparently, the 4 hole plate was not perfectly squared or level?

While doing the swap, I made a mistake and installed the 32acp resizing push pin into the expander die. Next test of expanding of course resulted in error. But looking at the extreme expansion, I thought maybe I could go a little more than I was doing. Maybe all I needed was a little more expansion/flaring? Removing resizing pin, readjusted expanding die until I could start bullets a little deeper, and this seems to look good now, and seems to have solved that issue too.

All problems solved using original dies. 4 hole plate and deeper expansion. Anyone need a new set of loading dies cheap? :oops:

Here are two photos, the first is a sample of the crimped bullets pulled, to see if you agree that these looked crimped properly for Berry's Plated bullets. (all are crimped the same, but photo gives illusion that they are different). I wanted to crimp them a little extra due to expanding die going deeper, yet still not split the plating. To me, it looks about as heavy as I should go. OAL is .970. The second photo is the different expanding die inserts, which didn't seem to matter.
Attachments
Crimp on Berrys Bullets
Crimp on Berrys Bullets
Expander differences
Expander differences
lee9mak_expander.jpg (46.13 KiB) Viewed 4089 times
Dwight

Post by Dwight »

I'm glad that you got your issues worked out!

I think that the amount of crimp that you apply is based on equal parts preference and firearm specific performance. If you're happy with the crimp, the bullet doesn't turn or wobble, and none of the lower rounds in the magazine have bullets come loose during operation, I'd say that you have found the right degree of crimp.

I apply as little crimp as possible to try to lessen the wear and tear on the brass so that I can get as many reloadings as possible out of them.

Dwight
RobsTV

Post by RobsTV »

normsutton wrote:couldn't understand , why you resized the cases twice and belled the cases twice, no need to do that, do it just like Jun , you shouldn't have any problem's , can't help with Barry's bullet's cast my own

NORM
Just an update to this as well.
The next batch I did was to use expander die to apply just enough flare to allow 9mm Mak case gage to be inserted during trimming. No case resizing die use. Trimmed to .706 length. Ready to load. Next I did normal loading steps of resizing at this point, and this reminded me of why I resize before trimming. Resizing once fired cases that were unsized prior to trimming makes the case longer after sizing. Instead of being trimmed size of .706, these are now .712 to .714. If I resize before trimming, then they stay the same size of .706, even after running them through the resizing die the second time during loading process.. Perhaps it is the brass I am using? Nickel plated, once fire Win 9mm +p. I am only using 9mm Mak dies and case length gage, not any 9mm luger trimming or die components.

I guess when you all mentioned no need to resize twice, you were refering to skipping the second resize step after trimming, not skipping resize before trimming? But on a turret press, the second resize only wastes a few seconds time if not needed, which I have, no brass is reworked a second time, and assures that each time I reload, I follow the same procedures with all calibers. Consistency.

Same thing with expanding. It must be done to allow trimmer to enter case, then the flare is removed during trimming, so it must be done a second time before bullet can be inserted. I guess if I used a 9mm luger sizing gage, instead of 9mm Mak, then the initial flare for trimming could be skipped.