Primer Failure?

Discussion on reloading the 9x18 and any other cartridge
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Primer Failure?

Post by juniustaylor »

This is a strange one on me. My dad and I went to the range this afternoon and shot his Interarms Mark X .300 Win Mag. He shot 4 rounds and 2 of them came out this this.

It seems strange because this is the third load on these if you count the factory as #1. The 2nd time they were loaded it was using the same Winchester LRM primers and we didn't experience this problem. They were very accurate, practically touching at 100 yards. I wanted to make sure it was a primer issue and not a case issue. It appears to be so.

I took this picture to show the hole was in the primer cup only.Image

It did leave a slight ring and 2 pitted spots on his bolt face. They look negligible but it's still irritating that they're there. There are 16 more rounds. Should I pull them and discard the primers and start over?

I had read that another individual had a similar issue with photos that practically mimic mine.
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=463882

Any input is appreciated.
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Re: Primer Failure?

Post by juniustaylor »

On that website the OP later comments this:
Nope, bolt face was fine before this and most of that cleaned off. The load was 56.4grs IMR 4350 firing a 154gr Hornady SP with WLRM primers. I wasn't shooting it, so I don't know what happened as far as gas escape or anything like that. Thanks for the replies so far.

So, he was using Winchester LRM primers as well. I wonder if Winchester magnum primers suffer this as a common occurrence. I may have to try different ones as I don't trust them to not do it again.

Load Info:
Federal cases
Win WLRM primers
71.5gr IMR4350
150 gr Sierra Game King
3.335" COL

They are not even close to being a hot load. My dad has been using this load for decades and said he has never saw this.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

Interesting to note also, I found this website in which the OP was using Winchester primers. It was back in October so relatively recent. He posts pictures and they match what these are looking like. I'm wondering if Winchester is cutting costs and using crappy material. Shame shame...
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtop ... sc&start=0
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

Lot # on these Magnum primers is DGL199G. I wonder if contacting Winchester/Olin would make any difference?
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

They are prolly made in China like most everything else these days.

Fortunatly you did not have an unpleasent incident resulting in injuries.

I would agree it looks like primer failure but just to be on the safe side and to eliminate it I would check head space.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

I'll see if I can find an inexpensive way to check headspace. Since these are belted magnums they would headspace on the belt. May see if the gunstore down the street has the tool for .300 Win Mag so that I don't have to buy it. This is the first time we have experienced this problem. Thanks for the input Curly!
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

JUN

I think I'd write an call Winchester , with a link to this thread , you aren't using any Russian powder are you ,to load these

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

Nope, just using IMR4350. 71.5 grains of it which is actually a lighter load.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

juniustaylor,

Now that is scary, I only use Win primers for all my handguns and have over 1,600 of the Win WLPM primers left with LOT #'s BFL168G & CHL489G so far all have preformed flawlessly as well as all that I have used in the past including the small pistol primers. Before I retired I use to live [Woodriver, IL] within a mile of the Winchester casting plant plant in East Alton, IL. that makes the primers and know folks that work there still, I give them a call and see what they say. May I use your pics in a email if they want to see them.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

papabear, you certainly may use my pictures and send them! It is just odd, I had used 20 of these the first time around and had no issues. I used them (same package) this time and had 2 failed and 2 okay and didn't shoot any more.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

juniustaylor,

Will do as soon as I can catch one of them at Olin.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

I tried calling Winchester this afternoon as I had some time. Their automated system is terrible. I think I had to press 6 buttons before getting to a recording just to have to leave a message. Not very satisfied with that. Maybe I'll get a reply sometime. Papabear, if you get around to it and contact some fellers you know, I'd appreciate hearing what they say. Don't know if my dad pulled the rest of them or left them be.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

junistaylor,

I tried again yesterday contacting my buddy and had some of the same issues you had in getting to talk to someone, their automated system as you mentioned is lousy at best. I would call him at home but have long ago lost his cell and home phone numbers, and he may be retired by now, however, I'll keep trying.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

Winchester primers are about to tick me off. I may throw away the remaining ones that I have and never buy them again. I shot my Savage Axis .22-250 today. I shot around 40 reloads through it and the last 2 shots the Winchester WLR primers errupted on the outer circumference and left 2 pock-marks on my bolt face. I just sent an email to Olin hoping they will route it to the appropriate department. I told them my frustration with this because I have blemishes on my bolt face now as well as on my dad's rifle from their primers. I hope I can get to talk to someone intelligent and that Winchester will do something in return for my aggravation. I sent them the pictures of these pictures above of the .300 Win Mag. Guess I'll see what happens. I am done with Winchester primers. Done!
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Certainly sounds lke a quality control problem.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary