silver vs. brown bear

Discussion on reloading the 9x18 and any other cartridge
publius

silver vs. brown bear

Post by publius »

Newbie and although not handloads it is ammo related and this seemed to be the best place to put this thread. What is the difference in brown and silver bear besides the superficial case colors? Thank you for the help.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Re: silver vs. brown bear

Post by juniustaylor »

It seems that in various velocity tests that Silver Bear tends to be a bit faster than Brown Bear. Otherwise, it's just the case color. The coatings keep the steel case from sticking in the camber. The Brown Bear is laquered. Silver Bear is nickel or zinc plated. According to some websites they show the velocity to be the same, but I wouldn't see any point in different case coatings and to be no power difference. Oh well. Welcome friend!

Here is Sarge's results of various reloads and factory ammo. Results are at the very bottom.
http://p64resource.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4268
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
publius

Post by publius »

Thank you Sir, my Bulgy Mak, 2 CZ-82's, and 2 P64's are on the way. I haqve vowed not to put off the purchase of any more surplus weapons until they have doubled in price or are gone.
The Only Sarge

Post by The Only Sarge »

I hear Jesse Jackson Jr. wants taxpayers to pay every unemployed person in America $40K per year to be a Government "employee".....maybe we can get jobs as "C&R Buyers" :)

Work for Comrade Jesse.
688x18

Post by 688x18 »

Brown bear jammed in my gun the nose of the bullet hit the top lip of the barrel I shot a whole box of blazer and no jams no nothing. I kinda don't like the coating on the brown bear, my brother shoots 54r brown bear no problems but again thats out of a bolt action rifle not a semi auto handgun. The coating just feels "sticky" to me and is more than likely on the cases to keep them from rusting since the are steel.