Frustrated!!!

Discussion on reloading the 9x18 and any other cartridge
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Frustrated!!!

Post by juniustaylor »

So, I have been recording my reload information on paper as the last time I recorded it, it was on my laptop which crapped out on me several months ago. I lost all my data and have had to rely on the sticky labels on my boxes to help me out.

In the process I ran across some 9mm Luger ammo that said it has 124 grain Montana Gold FMJ bullets in them. Said 6.5 grains of Power Pistol. I thought it seemed high from my memory. I had shot up half the box of 50 as it was and remembered they were a bit stout compared to some other 9mm ammo I had.

Anyway, I saw I had 50 more of those bullets and had some empty brass so I decided to reload some and got to looking in my Hornady manual. 5.7 grains is the max of Power Pistol listed for a 124 grain bullet. Same thing in Lyman. My other load manuals are old and would be of no help as they wouldn't list Power Pistol as an option. Thinking I got it from Alliant, I looked in my little book from them... Power Pistol isn't even listed for 124, but it is for 115 and 147 grain bullets. So, thinking I had an idiot moment when I reloaded them last year, I pulled the bullets out of the remaining 25 rounds and salvaged the powder. I then reloaded them for 5.5 grains of Power Pistol and also loaded the other 50 cases that I had prepared.

I got to looking on Alliant's website tonight and on the website they show 6.4 grains of Power Pistol for a 124 grain bullet. However, their online PDF is the same as my paper copy, it does not list Power Pistol for the 124 grain bullet. So, I am just frustrated 1- with Alliant and their crappy publication, 2- for having re-reloaded those rounds, and 3- reloading info is so sporadic. Often times Hornady says one thing, Lyman says another, and the powder manufacturers say yet another. Who do you believe? Does it really matter?

Just venting... thanks for reading if you made it this far.
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
The Only Sarge

Re: Frustrated!!!

Post by The Only Sarge »

When I first started I only had one book....from there I just had to work up my own loads. Today we have the internet/multiple books....one would think that would be a good thing.....nope....now you can get conflicting info.

I went out to the shop and got my book.....I use Power Pistol on some loads and also use Montana Gold from time to time.....
Here is my Power Pistol load for my daughters Springfield XD/Glock.
OAL 1.1"
Small Pistol Primer ( I used Wolf)
6.2g Power Pistol
Montana Gold 124g
According to my log book on the Chrony they shot 1100fps.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

Thanks for the info Sarge. I guess I'll just leave them be at 5.5 grains unless I feel froggy again and decide to increase it. Just wish I understood the various companies' reasons for why they put what they feel is the "maximum".
The Only Sarge

Post by The Only Sarge »

It keeps dropping year to year. I call it "Lawyer with a trigger" syndrome.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

I had heard that, and often thought it myself. However, I did some comparing. I have a 70's Sierra book, (1970'ish) Hornady 2nd Edition, and (1970'ish) Speer book. Each have their differences. In my newer books (Lyman 49th and Hornady 7th), there are some changes where the newer loads are indeed a tad less. But, the reverse is also true. There are loads in the newer manuals that are "hotter" than those in the older books. So, I used to have that opinion about the "lawyer" deal, but I disagree now after doing some research of my own. The old books come in handy. They don't have a gob of loads as there are a lot of newer powders, but for the older powders, they're fine.
The Only Sarge

Post by The Only Sarge »

One thing I have learned over the years concerning "The Books".....the components vary thus the loads of powder vary. Don't get caught just looking at the powder loads....look at the components used also. OAL, Different primers (on the same powder and bullet weight), bullet seating depth will vary in testing. This will effect the powder weight obviously. Also if they crimped or not will make a difference.

So to CYA I have just started low and worked up. Made my own dad gum book :)

I am convinced us old broken down reloaders cannot just go by the book. Any reloading data is just a suggested load. It is up to us to make the load perform safely with our components.

And blow the hell out of them pigs.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

Absolutely agree Sarge! Good points you have made.