Lee Auto Prime XR

Discussion on reloading the 9x18 and any other cartridge
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Lee Auto Prime XR

Post by juniustaylor »

My original Lee Auto Prime broke about 2 months ago when loading some rifle ammo. The lever snapped like a twig. I had read that was a common problem and that people would just buy replacement ones to set to the side for spares. Well, I looked on MidwayUSA where I had originally bought it and they didn't have any parts. I then sent an email to Lee and they said they discontinued the original Auto Prime back in October of 2010. They said to send in my old one with a letter and just say that I want a replacement upgrade to the XR version for no cost. So, that's what I did. I got the thing in less than a week from when I sent the old one out. My Auto Prime was still in the 2 year warranty period. I used it just a bit ago to prime some .30-30 cases and I have to say that I really like it from the little use I did. The tray is more friendly to work with as it is square shape. I dumped some CCI's in the tray and they all went anvil up on their own. These are the little "old" CCI boxes where they're in sideways rows of 10. It has it's own chute that the primers travel down so that they don't get clogged up. There is a two step feed setup where it blocks off all the primers and always has a primer ready for the next case so you can use any primer safely. The lever is definitely more BEEFY feeling and I liked that a lot. Overall, I am very satisfied with Lee's customer service and their products.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?p ... ber=413473

US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
leadhead2

Re: Lee Auto Prime XR

Post by leadhead2 »

I bought one thinking how nice the square tray would be.
I found out that it was a piece of crap. I hate everything
about it. I'm glad I have spare parts for the older ones.
I sold the other one real quick. I don't know why when
they have something that works, they have to screw with
the design.
Denny
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

There are a lot of folks that like the 1st design better. I thought the first one was fine, but the lever was a piece of crap and broke. Spare parts cannot be had. So, once they're gone, they're gone and you'll be stuck getting a completely different brand. Luckily I had the warranty on mine still, so this one was at no cost. Sorry to hear that you thought the XR was crap Denny, hope your spare parts last you many years. All in all, it's roughly the same design. The only differences are the square tray and the primer cut-off deal. I wonder if the beefy lever of the XR would fit the original one, you didn't try it did you? That would be nice to know, then folks could keep the old style, but buy the NICE lever! I personally think it works the same or better than the original.
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
leadhead2

Post by leadhead2 »

No, they won't interchange. They made steel replacements
years ago and I bought a few of them at the time.
It wouldn't be very hard to make one if you had to.
I've had RCBS, Hornady and didn't like them either.
Guess thats what happens when you get as old as I am.
Denny