Problems weighing Red Dot powder.

Discussion on reloading the 9x18 and any other cartridge
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Problems weighing Red Dot powder.

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Any one out there using Alliant Red Dot powder have problem dispencing it. My Lee powder despencer will not drop the same weight two times in a row. I've used several other powders since then and no problem so the issue is not the dispencer. I'm loading range and self defense rounds for my 44sp. and I'm having to dispence, weigh, triclke and load. Any one else having similar issues with Red Dot powder?
GR
Last edited by gunneyrabbit on March 20th, 2011, 9:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
wyo-man

Re: Problems weighing Red Dot powder.

Post by wyo-man »

Sorry, I don't use Red Dot.

wyo-man
wtr100

Post by wtr100 »

My cheap Lee Perfect Powder measure drops it just fine

13.0 Grains for reduced cast .308
3.5 Grains for 45 ACP 255 gr cast swc
2.7 Grains for 9 x 18 116 Gr Rim Rock
saands

Post by saands »

My Lee "less-than-Perfect" Powder measure only measures stick powders well. The flaked Alliant pistol powders meter OK, and the little spherical stuff like AA#9 and some Winchester powders gum up the works in two or three rounds. I REALLY wanted to use 800X for fullhouse 10mm loads ... but it just wouldn't meter, so I finally broke down and bought an RCBS system that has the trickler and digital scale integrated together. Now all my loads are on the money and I can use whatever powders I want. Occasionally, I'll still throw charges if I just want to load up a few hundred plinking loads, but mostly I meter everything now.

Saands
fish

Post by fish »

I use a combination of techniques as outlined by siliconwolverine and ammosmith on Youtube to make the Lee Perfect Powder measure work reliably with just about any powder.

Tapping when dispensing at the bottom of the stroke is critical. See this video around 2:30:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHVpjAO5T-0

I also do a 'double-bump' at the top of the stroke as outlined in this video at 3:30:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gElZEFmk48M

I get fantastic consistency with the Lee Perfect Powder Measure using any powder (including Unique and Red Dot!) using these methods.

Finally, if my goal is to throw 3.1 grain charges, I'll get it dialed in close throwing single charges, but then to fine tune I'll set my scale at 31 grains and throw 10 charges. Average average average. The consistency and accuracy of my reloads is very good using these techniques.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

Big thing I have found when using my Lee PPM is that consistency is key. If you tap it on the up stroke one time, but not another, the powder charge can be drastically different. I always tap a couple on the down stroke so that there is no powder bridge in the tube and that it allows the powder in the hopper to settle a bit. Otherwise, I have no experience with Red Dot. I have used Unique and Power Pistol and a handful of rifle powders and it seems to do a decent job.
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

I tried the tapping thing and no improvement with red dot, so I decided to dump, trickle and weigh. Still no problems with any other powders.
GR
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

I found Winchester 231/ HP38 for almost all of my loads and the results are what I expect, as long as I keep the hopper 4/5 full the weights are accurate, if the powder falls below the 4/5 mark I may or may not get accurate weights. Below that mark I need to do the tap technique and weigh every third load. Personally this is not acceptable to me and I plan to purchase a computerized loader ASAP.
GR
saands

Post by saands »

FWIW, I continue to be satisfied with my RCBS system. Highly recommended