HOME DEFENSE LOAD [RANGE REPORT]

Discussion on reloading the 9x18 and any other cartridge
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

HOME DEFENSE LOAD [RANGE REPORT]

Post by papabear »

Recently I got the idea for a handgun load for zombies and/or bad guys using shot shell capsules. I ordered some 45LC shot shells capsules for a start, had plenty of 45LC brass, broke open some 12ga #00 buck shells for the 9 pellets in each, weighed the 3 pellets, filled each capsule with 3 pellets using two different powder loads of Unique powder. Next chance I have they go to the range to test fire, results to follow, could be a flop or need tweaking but hopefully I can work out a load that will be effective at short distances ie., 5-7yds.

anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Re: Home Defense Load

Post by anjdrifter »

Reaaaalllly cooollll I like them thar Ky zombie killers.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Nice looking finished product, looking foreword to your posting with the results.
GR
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

gunneyrabbit,

Thanks, I haven't had a chance to get to the range, every time I plan a trip there something comes up, today was another one of those days, had to wait for a new dishwasher to arrive and installed and that shot most of the day, so I worked in the yard, hopefully next Monday.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

This kind of ammo is designed to kill people... you're going to jail forever if you ever have to shoot anyone. Obviously other ammo (factory) is not designed to kill. :P Just teasing. Very interesting, I think I've saw some LEO ammo that does have this same concept.
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

Do they fit in snug or have some wiggle room? If there is some room to work with, you could buy a box of 100 muzzleloading roundballs in .36 caliber which would be 000 buck. Not sure if that's too large. That is, if you shoot these and like them so much that you want to make more. It would be cheaper than using the balls from good shotgun shells.
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

juniustaylor,

They fit fairly snug with no rattle, as for cost, my cousin gave me a couple hundred old 12ga #00 buck shells he had had for years so there is no cost factor, however, you make a good cost point by using the cheaper muzzle loading round balls. As for size, these #00 balls fit great, I weighed 3 balls and it was 165gr average so I'm not sure if the powder load I'm going to use will be right or not, but I can go from there. When I do get to shoot them I'll post the outcome with data.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Home Defense Load [RANGE REPORT]

Post by papabear »

Finally made it to the range late this morning, it was really breezy, it kept blowing my targets away, but other wise a great morning. First outa the blocks was my 45LC shot shells with (3) 00 buck balls [165gr] with 7.5gr Unique using my Ruger Beasley Vaquero with 4 5/8" bbl at 7yds, Impressive but not totally satisfied

Next target with same load except with 8.0gr Unique as Norm had suggested and "Bingo" found my load still using my Ruger Beasley Vaquero, I was impressed, shot 4 shot shells for a total of 12 00 balls, one did fly over the top but I was impressed with the 5 1/2" pattern with those "BIG Holes"

At the range I usually open carry with either my P-64 or CZ82, today I was packing the CZ82, after shooting all my shot shells I practiced "point shooting" with it, shot 2 mags of 10rds ea. w/1 free hand at 7 yds with 95gr S&B.

normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Re: HOME DEFENSE LOAD [RANGE REPORT]

Post by normsutton »

Hayden

died target

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Looks like all of those targets died to me!
Very nice results papabear, I wonder what a guy could do with a swedged copper jacket, composit resin,lead base and smaller shot?
GR
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

guynneyrabbit,

That's a good question and I don't know at this point but my next try with shot shell capsules will be with smaller shot ie., # 1,2,3 and 4 shot, and as soon as I can find the shot shell capsules for .38/.357 I'm going to start making loads for them also.
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by anjdrifter »

the 38 shot shells are pretty good .they are also available commerically.. I have gotten 38 loads from a friend loaded with 3 balls and have made a few also.. never took any photos of em ...
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

Hayden

3 No1 buck fit perfect in the 38/357 shot capsules

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

Al,

You know me, I have a burning desire to take pic of almost anything, I still remember a conversation we had and you asked that I NOT take a pic of something, as you put it, "TMI" .. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Norm,

That was going to be my next effort using No.1 for the 38/357 as you had suggested earlier when we talked about all this.