the truth about trimming 9mm luger to 9x18 mak?

Discussion on reloading the 9x18 and any other cartridge
kragluver

Re: the truth about trimming 9mm luger to 9x18 mak?

Post by kragluver »

I've used cut down 9x19 brass for all my P64 hand loads with no problems. I doubt the guy knew what he was talking about. The only potential issue would be someone picking up your range brass thinking it was standard 9x19 and attempting to use it as such. I suspect it may cause feeding issues if reused for 9mm after it's been cut. I use a red Sharpie to color all the heads on my cut down brass in order to make them easier to identify.
The Only Sarge

Re: the truth about trimming 9mm luger to 9x18 mak?

Post by The Only Sarge »

big54r wrote:I know this probably has been discussed here before but I didn't find what I was looking for so here goes...

this past weekend while loading up some SD ammo one of the guy's in our group who has exstensive reloading experience commented that cutting down 9mm luger brass 1mm to make 9x18 brass was a no-no and shouldn't be done.

The comment got my attention but seeing as we where all busy loading ammo I really didn't get to delve into his reasoning, rightly or wrongly, before we all left.

Know I would like all of you here with your experience cutting down 9mm luger brass into 9x18 mak brass what your experience is doing this and are you concerned in any manner about the process or results?

Is there a reason that we shouldn't trim the 9mm luger brass that 1mm to make 9x18mak brass?
what gives?

I think one of the main reason's for not trimming was the taper>>> :?:
I didn't see this way down at the bottom! "Guy" is dead wrong. No other way to put it friend!
I run em all through my 9x18 Lee expander die....then through my Lee full length resizer die...then I chuck up my Lee case trimmer in my drill press and have a 9x18 case gauge trimmer and go to town.
They come out very consistent @.705-.710.

Your buddy is probably thinking about the Luger taper....not to worry after running that case through the expander and resizer dies.