Lead bullets in polygonal barrels?

Discussion on reloading the 9x18 and any other cartridge
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Lead bullets in polygonal barrels?

Post by gunneyrabbit »

You fellows have heard me speak of Bear Creek Molly coated Lead Bullets in the past and how impressed I am by them. Well, add another plus for this product. This afternoon I fired one hundrad 95 gr. Bear Creek 9x18 bullets through my CZ 82's polygonal barrel and cleaned the barrel with one pass of a 9mm boar snake with out a hint of lead build up in the barrel. This speakes volumes for this product and I hope you will learn to appreciate them as much as I do.
G.R.
wyo-man

Re: Lead bullets in polygonal barrels?

Post by wyo-man »

wow, good to know. Thanks for the information.

wyo-man
Autosurgeon

Post by Autosurgeon »

Be good if they were still in business... I tried to order from them recently and was told they are having financial difficulties...
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

I'm not sure about that, I buy from my local gun smith and he always has them in stock, my guess is that if he is having problems it is keeping up with orders. You might want to search the internet for some one else who carrys them. There are also several other manufacturers who make them and that may be another option. MIDWAYUSA has moly powder and a plating system that is rather inexpensive to purchase. The only extra that you need is a dedicated tumbler. The thing that I like about Bear Creeks product is their application, guranteed not to come off at magnum speeds and I can vouch for that. I'm loading .357 moly coated led bullets so hot it down right hurts to shoot them out of my New model Ruger Blackhawk and the bullets are intact when they hit the paper targets.
G.R.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

Its my understand that Bear Creek is closed also, their domain name is up for sale or it was, the info I got said they closed their doors back in late 2007, thats hear say so it might not be true.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

"Precision Bullets at Affordable Prices" is his moto.

BEAR CREEK SUPPLY
P.O. Box 177
Waterford , CA 95386

He is still in business, my guess is that he has more business than he can handle and is just selling to shops and smiths.
G.R.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

Good to hear that gunnyrabbit.

papa
smbob

Post by smbob »

I have had really good results lately with Missouri Bullets 93gr RNL bullets in my CZ82 with 3gr of Titegroup.
I'm going to drop it down to 2.5gr and see how it does. Silver Bear 95gr HP & FMJ as well as higher power
reloads with 231, Unique, Bullseye, and others sprayed lead all over the place with my CZ82. My CZ82
just doesn't like hot rounds at all.

Robert
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

smbob,

I don't reload yet for the 9x18 due to a huge cache of factory 9x18, but I also buy all my lead cast bullets 38/357 thur 44 mag from Missouri Bullet Co, I'm very satisfied with them.
smbob

Post by smbob »

PB,
I use Missouri Bullets for my 9X18, 41Mag, & 45ACP reloading. Love 'em! Fast excellent service along
with great prices. They perform quite well too!

Robert
big54r

Post by big54r »

I might be interested in using some lead bullets but I am really unsure how the lead will affect the polygonal rifling of a cz-82.

I know you say these bullets won't have an affect but what I am asking is.....what is normally said to happen with regular lead bullets in polygonal rifling?
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Standard rhetoric is that lead bullets can not be used in polygonal barrels with out leading the barrel. I first tried Buffalobore hard cast bullets without any leading "per the company's advertisments" and they work as advertised. Thought I would try Bear Creek Moly coated bullets since I had been having so much luck with my other pistoles and no leading. I have used lightly copper coated lead bullets with the same results, some so lightly coated that the lead is visable through copper coating. All have been fired through my CZ82 and all have worked just fine.
I can report that several highly revered manufactures hard cast lead bullets do lead the barrel of my CZ82, without mentioning names I can report that it seems to depend on the alloy formulation, the softer the bullet the more leading.
All bullets have been loaded to under 1000 feet per second (FPS) with good results. I'm working on a Winchester 231 reload with the Bear Creek bullets and an Alliant reload with the same bullets. My main interest is muzzle velocity and FPS at ten feet. Imperical evidence is that Moly coated bullets are faster than copper jacketed bullets with similar loads. I believe the assumption's to be true and I also believe that similar muzzel velocity's can be aquired with less powder consumption. Combine that with less felt recoil which I can attest to, it seems to me to be, in my opinion; a win win situation. Regardless of the outcome I will report the results, posative or negative.
G.R.