9x18 case length limits

Discussion on reloading the 9x18 and any other cartridge
daytonaknight

9x18 case length limits

Post by daytonaknight »

What's the limit for 9x18 case lengths. I have been using a LEE Makarov case length gauge and trimmer to cut down 9x19 brass for some time and I'm trying to verify the cases are still coming out within specs. My cases are coming out .703 in.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Re: 9x18 case length limits

Post by juniustaylor »

0.708" Trim Length
0.713" Max Case Length
-Hornady 7th Edition

Over time, you may notice the cases get shorter if you use the Lee case length gage extensively. However, usually the trimmed 9x19 brass should last a very long time so long as you load them reasonable. The Luger is capable of a max of 35,000 PSI. Mak really has no SAAMI limit, but it's supposedly a little over 20,000 psi or so. The brass should last quite a while. I use the Lee gage and don't sweat it.
fish

Post by fish »

My Lee gauge when new cut cases to .703. .700 is the shortest permissible length, .713 the max case length for Mak cases. After cutting about 200 cases I found the Lee gauge was cutting cases too short, and they were getting progressively shorter. The tip of the gauge was mushrooming. I called Lee and was told by a tech that I shouldn't ride the gauge once it bottoms out on the lock stud. They did send me another gauge.

I did finally break down last month and get a Lyman universal trimmer. I'm so much happier. The Lee tools work, and the price is right, but the Lyman trimmer works so much better.

Digging through my range pick up brass I have a small assortment of brass case boxer primed Makarov brass with headstamps like Hornady, Federal, and Fiocchi. Curiously, most of these cases measure .708-.710. I've started cutting my Luger brass down to .710 now that I have the Lyman trimmer. The few feeding problems I've had with my P64 have gone away.
wyo-man

Post by wyo-man »

Thanks for the information on case length fish.

wyo-man
daytonaknight

Post by daytonaknight »

Thanks. I may get a 9x19 gauge and grind it down to get closer to the trim to length. Brass lasting a long time is not an issue. My indoor range doesn't allow picking up brass and with the brass bouncing off the partition and then off the back wall, it is difficult to find anyway. I may have a few casings .... uhhhh .... land in my range bag but most of the time, I end up loading freshly cut brass.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

I wouldn't support a communist range that doesn't let you pick up "your" brass. You bought it, brought it in, you should be able to take it out. I'd go to Walmart, buy a mesh laundry bag, loop it around a clothes hanger and use it as a brass catcher. You just have to figure out how to mount it to keep your brass. That range is total BS.

I have heard of some folks going with the 9x19 and cutting it down, especially before Lee made one for the 9x18. It would certainly work easier with 9mm Luger cases as you wouldn't have to try to bell the mouth in order to get the 9x18 gage to fit. I may try cutting one down myself.
daytonaknight

Post by daytonaknight »

I tried the net thing with limited success. I used a tropical fish net with a long handle. I think I can get it to work better if I remove the mesh and replace it with something deeper to keep brass from bouncing back out. My wife suggested panty hose but somehow, I don't think I would appreciate that hanging from my hand.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

You fellows may want to try something I saw at my gun club, a member use a long handled fish net mounted on a camera tripod, the net is deep and has an extention made out of a piece of wire hanger wraped tightly, multiple times around the top of the net and held in place with red liqued fast weld. I'm not sure what he used for the net but it looks like the material that they use on aquarium nets. It bends at about any angle, up-down, right-left, foreword or backword and he rarely if ever looses an empty casing.
G.R.
wyo-man

Post by wyo-man »

Great idea GR, now I just have to figure out where to place it (fired 5 rounds at the range and still couldn't find the empities.............)

wyo-man
JB7748

Post by JB7748 »

Well that gave me a good idea for a afternoon of invention. I used the netting from a bag of oranges and a old bent coat hanger with a bit of floral wire and hey presto, a brass catcher. I bet this can pass as a pantyhose substitute. I also assume you can solder a small nut to the hanger to easily attach a tripod.
Orange net packaging.
Orange net packaging.
Brass catcher.
Brass catcher.
surfzombie

Post by surfzombie »

You could just buy one of these. He also sells on ebay.
http://www.gracomodels.com/index.html
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

$20 something for a catcher seems like a total ripoff. It's cloth or some form of knitted fabric around a clothes hanger. JB7748 had a free solution that looks pretty good. I made one from a $4 mesh laundry bag several months ago.... using a clothes hanger. To each their own... Some folks are thieves and others are just too lazy and dumb and would gladly spend the $20.
surfzombie

Post by surfzombie »

juniustaylor wrote:$20 something for a catcher seems like a total ripoff. It's cloth or some form of knitted fabric around a clothes hanger. JB7748 had a free solution that looks pretty good. I made one from a $4 mesh laundry bag several months ago.... using a clothes hanger. To each their own... Some folks are thieves and others are just too lazy and dumb and would gladly spend the $20.
That was a little harsh don't you think. Some of my not be as mechanically inclined or have the luxury of time to waste on such a thing. The one pictured above looks like a cheap fishing dip net. Though I would give him an A for effort I would rather have something a little more sturdy and professional looking
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

It could be taken harshly surf, sorry if I came off abrasive. You were only trying to help. I am just one that hates seeing products that are seriously a rip-off. Something as simple as a net on a piece of wire would take about 30 minutes to construct, if you have kids, let them do it as they would probably enjoy it. So, my apologies.
surfzombie

Post by surfzombie »

juniustaylor wrote:It could be taken harshly surf, sorry if I came off abrasive. You were only trying to help. I am just one that hates seeing products that are seriously a rip-off. Something as simple as a net on a piece of wire would take about 30 minutes to construct, if you have kids, let them do it as they would probably enjoy it. So, my apologies.
That cool, No worries.