Lee 9mm Makarov factory crimp die?

Discussion on reloading the 9x18 and any other cartridge
smbob

Lee 9mm Makarov factory crimp die?

Post by smbob »

I like to use the Lee Factory Crimp Die on my reloads. I haven't been
able to find one for 9mm Makarov. Will the 9mm Luger one work?

Robert
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Re: Lee 9mm Makarov factory crimp die?

Post by normsutton »

Robert

I don't use LEE factory crimp die's , but I don't think so ,9mm the dia is to small

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
fish

Post by fish »

You can call Lee and through their custom services order a 9mm Makarov FCD. Cost is $34.50.
smbob

Post by smbob »

Thanks guys! I'll get in touch with them.

Robert
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

Other option is to take the button out of your Lee size/decap die and use it as the crimp die. Cheaper than $35.
smbob

Post by smbob »

juniustaylor wrote:Other option is to take the button out of your Lee size/decap die and use it as the crimp die. Cheaper than $35.
Interesting. That won't actually "crimp", but it will size the finished round.
I guess it would work.

Robert
Last edited by smbob on November 5th, 2010, 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

juniustaylor, Wow, I usually do a slight roll crimp but I can see the beauty of resizing with the crimp already in place. Great idea! Do you use die lube?
G.R.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

No on the lube. I use the carbide dies so I don't worry about lube when running the assembled cartridge into the size die. If you're a bit worried about it, a small amount of case lube probably wouldn't hurt.

I was using once fired 9mm Luger casings cut down. The bullets I used were Berry Mfg plated type. I ran a couple through using this method and they turned out okay, however, one of the bullets must have caught a bit in the die and actually came out the case a bit. So, either the bullet was a bit larger in diameter or I shouldn't have run it all the way in. The darn little pills hardly go into the case anyway, so it didn't surprise me that it would come out a bit. So, I am sure it will work, just don't run the cartridge all the way in.

The last method I use... which I prefer, is to run all the bullets down to the right COL and then back out the seating plug and use the die to do the taper crimp. I adjust it just like I would the FCD and it works just fine. I have tried doing bullet seating and crimping in one operation before and have mixed results as all the cases MUST be the same length. Usually it doesn't work so well. Normally there isn't much need to use the FCD as probably 99% of the time your cartridges will fit in practically any chamber when it comes to these 9x18mm guns. If in doubt, just see if they'll chamber before loading them in a magazine.
Gik-tal

Post by Gik-tal »

I just ordered one from Lee's custom shop, it was worth the money
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

I've been doing light roll crimps with my Lee dies and they function just fine in all of my 9x18 pistoles.
G.R.
surfzombie

Post by surfzombie »

gunneyrabbit wrote:I've been doing light roll crimps with my Lee dies and they function just fine in all of my 9x18 pistoles.
G.R.
+1 that's what I do too. Never had any problems.
The Only Sarge

Post by The Only Sarge »

I did not read all the post/answers....on the Makorov round all I do is use the bullet seating die (LEE) screwed down until the bell is removed....then I adjust the seating depth and go to town.
I have never had any setback issues or any issues at all frankly doing it this way.

I crimp my .357 and .38 loads....but not my .45/.40/.9MM Luger/9MM MAK/.380 or .32's.
Dwight

Post by Dwight »

The Only Sarge wrote:I did not read all the post/answers....on the Makorov round all I do is use the bullet seating die (LEE) screwed down until the bell is removed....then I adjust the seating depth and go to town.
I have never had any setback issues or any issues at all frankly doing it this way.

I crimp my .357 and .38 loads....but not my .45/.40/.9MM Luger/9MM MAK/.380 or .32's.
Same here, Sarge - I finish off my 9mm Mak rounds the same way you do, and I've had no problems at all with the rounds. I don't use a roll crimp on my .38 special or 45 ACP loads either; and they have held together really well also.

The only time I've used any significant amount of roll crimp is for some bare lead 9mm luger bullets I got from Missouri Bullet Company. The did not seat deeply enough to make me feel secure about the loads without introducing some amount of roll crimp.

Dwight
The Only Sarge

Post by The Only Sarge »

smbob wrote:I like to use the Lee Factory Crimp Die on my reloads. I haven't been
able to find one for 9mm Makarov. Will the 9mm Luger one work?

Robert
Midway sell the Lee Factory Crimp Die for the 9X18 Makarov for $15.....
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/de ... ber=338208