Final Range 116grs.

Discussion on reloading the 9x18 and any other cartridge
fknipfer1

Re: Final Range 116grs.

Post by fknipfer1 »

I also polished the loading throat of the loading ramp. Its like a mirror which may have helped me feed also. I tried 9mm brass reworked in 9mm Mak tried it once and threw it all away. I am really satified with the Strarline brass and wouldn't use any other now. One question I have for you does the CZ82 have the polygon rifling? If so that might be part of the problem, I hope I spellled polygon right.

fknipfer1
US Army Veteran
NRA Life Member 1965
Am not a collector more of an accumlator
fish

Post by fish »

I'm running the hard cast Rim Rock 116 grainers. They work fantastically in the polygonal rifling. No leading, fantastic accuracy. Do I recall correctly you were running the softer Rim Rock bullets? That could be another difference in our results. I've run softer 95 grain cast bullets through the CZ-82 and had lots of leading with horrible accuracy.

I haven't had any issues with converted 9mm Luger brass, but I think I'm seeing case volume issues now.

I may try polishing the heck out of the feed ramp and chamber and give it a try with a little longer OAL along with some real Mak brass.
fknipfer1

Post by fknipfer1 »

Let me know how it all works out. I believe as long as we keep the FPS down round 1000 we will avoid the leading problems. You are right thou if my soft lead filled the rifling better I would get a little more speed and umph. I will have to look up how soft the lead really is.

fknipfer1
US Army Veteran
NRA Life Member 1965
Am not a collector more of an accumlator
fish

Post by fish »

My thought with lead in polygonal rifling is that the softer lead doesn't 'take and HOLD the shape of' the shallow polygonal rifling and is so instead of spinning it 'mooshes' through the barrel without any spin.

Harder lead takes the polygonal form and has enough strength to hold the polygonal shape and overcome inertia and start spinning through the polygonal hole in the barrel instead of 'smearing' like the softer lead does.

I think all this is exacerbated by the super slick chrome lined bore of the CZ-82 and the very shallow polygonal rifling compared to a Glock. Not helping this at all is the VOODOO and 'common knowledge' about lead in a poly bore.

Evidence of my theory is purely speculation. However, I get WAY better accuracy from these (brinell 21):

http://www.kingshooters.com/9mm-makarov-p-25536.html

Then I do from these (brinell 18):

http://www.missouribullet.com/results.p ... condary=28

Not that the Missouri Bullets are bad - but Roger's Better Bullets are better in this application since they are harder. I had some relatively 'soft' Makarov lead bullets a while back - brinell 14-16 Meister bullets - and they were HORRIBLY inaccurate in the CZ-82.

Another data point - Rim Rock doesn't make a 95 grain Mak bullet - but at 'target' velocities (whatever that is) I find these Hard Cast 116 grain bullets to be more accurate than the Missouri Bullets. Rim Rock rates their Hard Cast brinell at 20-22.
Autosurgeon

Post by Autosurgeon »

I run the 93 grain Missouri Bullets with 2.5 grains of tite group and have 0 leading in the following firearms.

P64, PA63 and my CZ82...

Push em easy but not too easy and stay under 1000 FPS and you will have no problems!
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."